Discuss Advice Needed Please in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

My friend and I would like to start a business doing PAT testing. We are wondering if anyone could give us some advice on the following:

What insurance is needed? and can you suggest a company?
What is a fair price per item? (The company I work for charge 60p an item..)

Any other info that you think would benefit us would be appreciated.

Thanks

60p per item - WHAT!!!!!

I would only go down to 60p if there where over 300 items!

There is no money in PAT Testing at that rate!

You need:
2Mil PL
50K PI (Minimum)

You should be an electrician as well to know what your really doing!

You also need to take the C&G course as well as a minimum!

Sorry but my opinion about companies charging only £0.60 per item needs shouting!

60p an item @ 200 items minimum per day they expect, don't see why they employ me to be honest.

What do you charge per item if you do it?

I done my 'training' through "PAT Training Services", which I was sent on by my company.

Do you think insurance companies won't touch us because we're not qualified Electricians? What is a ballpark figure for insurance?

Thanks in advance

Wasn't it Megger that did some research that found it isn't financially viable to do PAT testing for any less than 97p per item

You need to contact the insurance company tbh.

I charge £2 per item and that includes free repairs (Plugs, cables (under 1 meter), fuses).

I then reduce it as the higher the number of items.

believe it or not you can kill someone by failing to do a PAT correctly!
For example not identifying a plug has been wired wrongly (Earth and Live switched), damaged wires, etc

What equipment do you use in your company out of interest?

What equipment are you planning on buying to start your business up?

I work 8am-4pm(5 sometimes), if I can't get 200 done I don't rush and get them done just go get numbers. I rarely do get the 200 done a day, but it's what they expect. I'd rather cover myself and do my job properly than rush about just to get profits for the company. If they put the prices up I wouldn't be behind every day. I use a Kewtech KT71, It's what I was given. I imagine there is loads better however.

So you are expected to spend 2:30 mins per item - what a joke!

Think about it!

On average it is expected that you should take 5 min per item that works out to be 17hrs!

2 days to test 200 items - 100 per day.

Do me a fav and list the whole process from unplugging an item and I will tell you if your doing it correctly!

There are companies out there like the one your working for who mess with peoples lives!

Electricity is not a game!

As a guide:
Unplug item - 10secs
Visual Check of all cables and screws, casing, plug and fuse - 1:50 mins (if your experienced)
Test using Kewtech KT71 (in your case) - 3 mins (if done correctly!)

Thats 5 mins!

Then work out the pricing:
200 items @ £0.60 per item
= £120

2 days = £60 per day
Would you be happy with this thinking you need to pay for:
Income Tax
NI
Equipment (£300/12) = £25 per month
Calibration (£60/12) = £5 per month
Business Insurance (£100/12) = £8.40 per month
Car/Van Insurance (£600/12) = £50 (PLUS)
Your Wages

If you are testing everyday
1 month = 21 working days on average
21 days x £60 = £1260 per month
Expenses = 100 per month (Plus - depending on car insurance)

Thats £1160 left for you as income - Income Tax and NI

21 days working = (21days x 9) = 189 hours per month
£1160/189 hours
= £6.14 per hour - Are you happy with this? - I would not be!

Yes doing it your companies way = £12 - but it is dangerous and one day you will kill someone or someone will die because of the way you are expected to test!

2:30 is plenty time to do this, apparently. I've told them it's impossible yet they keep telling me my numbers are down. I'll get paid off before I start not doing my job right, if anything goes wrong, I'm to blame. My job title is a PAT Tester, not a sticker technician.

The process I do is.. Make sure the appliance is in fully working order - Check the outside of appliance for breaks - Unplug the appliance - check the cable properly for cracks, splits etc - check the plug for cracks, breaks, bent pins etc - check the fuse is to correct rating, if not replace - Identify the class for the PAT Tester - plug in, test and document.

£6.14 an hour? Gladly. They pay me £5 an hour. Which is why I'd like to just do it myself. I don't get how someone working is ASDA or Tesco's can get more stacking shelfs than I get for giving something the approval for electrical safety.

By choice I'd be an Electrician, not a PAT Tester.

Thanks for your replies, appreciate it

ok for starters

Your company is breaking the law! by only paying you £5 per hour!

Contact HMRC!

Out of interest and not being racist are you a British Citizen?

They are taking you for a ride my boy!

Get a pay rise or walk - even better get on benefits - you will get more!

Or are they providing you with accommodation/meals/clothes/etc??

That is the only other way they can legally pay you £5 per hour

I am British, would they need to pay me what they owe me from underpaying me? Monday morning should be interesting now. Just realised how much of a joke my company is. They provide me with 25p a mile expenses, enough stickers to reach the moon and a few pens, about it.

They dont need to pay fuel so be wear of that!

They have to pay min wage - NI and Tax!

Personally I would call HMRC up now and let them deal with it!

They will take your boss to court and get all of the staff the money owed!

Make sure you have your wage slips

Make sure first of all that you have all your assumed facts correct,you wouldn't want to come on here asking a question about business opportunity and end up losing your job because of misinformation causing conflict with your employer

In the pat rip off business you are beng paid poorly,but thats why the vast majority of electricians wont touch it
Its wierd having an electrical inspection that sparks wont touch,just makes the whole shambles evident to all

Why dont you try and start up part time,continue with your employment and seek out your own work,even if you can eventually take your own employers business away from them,dont let yourself be ripped off but tread carefully either way

Yeah, me and my friend were talking about it, hopefully it will go somewhere but only time will tell. I'll give it a try anyways, I'm not happy where I am so I don't want to stick around. Is there anything else we should know about this?

All I got to say is good luck

What you can do (without your employer knowing) build up a database of all his customers over the next 2 months. When HMRC come in and close him down you approach all the customers and explain what your doing and how much you can do it for, etc.

Either way - Good luck and dont get walked all over

Reply to Advice Needed Please in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net