Discuss Advice on plug socket covered by bed in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello I'm not an electrician but wondered if this site gave advice on domestic electricals?

It is regarding a double plug socket that is not recessed into the wall and sits just above the skirting. There is a bed up against the wall and the material from the divan has been cut out so that the socket is in the bed cavity if that makes sense?

The plug is in use with an extension lead. I think this is a fire hazard, the Landlord thinks it is no different to having a socket in a cupboard, under a bed, behind furniture etc.

Can any one advise whether my concerns are valid? Thank you

I think I worded it badly, I said it was in the bed cavity I meant covered by the bed cavity. It's not buried in a bed part as such, it is covered by the the divan base of the bed. I suppose its like putting a 5 foot box over a 6 inch plug socket?

The socket sticks out of the wall by about 5 cm, the bed is up against the wall, so the socket is covered by the base of the divan bed, you can pull the bed away from the wall, to use the socket, which has an extension lead running along the skirting board. >

I cant post a pick as I'm not there.

only problem is that if there was a fault on the socket/plug/extension lead, this could overheat and set fire to the bedding. a C2 on a test report. needs addressing.

Thank you, this is what I was thinking, however Landlord thinks its no different from having a bed up against a plug socket. I will ask him to get his electrician to visit.

Reply to Advice on plug socket covered by bed in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net