Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Advice on re-siting a consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Capn Ahab

Capn Ahab Regular EF Member

So, passed my 2391. Get in. :punk:

Have now got a job to replace a consumer unit and wire up a couple of water heater circuits that I will use for my assessment to join a comp persons scheme (I'm thinking Elecsa).

The job is pretty straight forward, apart from the fact that the CU is under the kitchen counter next to the washing machine. Customer wants it moved up about 1.5 metres on same wall, which means it will be about a metre away from the kitchen sink. She also wants tails from the isolator chased into the wall from point of entry.

My questions are this:

1. Given that I will probably have to extend a load of circuits to get them to reach the new CU location, what is the safest way of doing this that complies with the regs?

2. Is the location ok? It's not a special location, but would it be advisable to get a CU IP-rated to withstand splashing, or cover the CU in some other way?

3. The only protection on the supply tails is the distributor fuse, and cable buried in walls need to either be 5cm deep or mechanically or RCD protected, so I'm guessing this idea is a non-flyer. Anyone advise me different?

Thanks!

2. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

Get a new customer

• Like Like x 3
  3. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Where's the meter?

4. Capn Ahab

Outside - it's a first floor flat and the meters in a cupboard on the wall at ground level.

5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    so the tails will require overcurrent protection as well. and if buried, RCD

6. Capn Ahab

Who has a supply of compliant customers ready to do exactly what they're told then and how do I get some? Lol

Cheers for the advice, I thought steel plate would be the way to go. As for the location, I last spoke to her a month ago and it was up the air until she emailed me with what she wants a couple of days ago. Think I may have to visit again and be persuasive....

7. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Is there somewhere else that you could position the CU, somewhere outside of the kitchen?

8. trev

trev Regular EF Member

You sure about that mate?
    Well done on the 2391 pass:)

9. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

because as far as the building regs are concerned ...kitchens ARE a special location......

10. trev

trev Regular EF Member

My point exactly Glenn:)

11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    beg to differ. kitchen is not a special location, but according to part pee, work in a kitchen is notifiable. it's ony BS7671 that defines what is, and is not , a special location, not the building regs.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

statutary n all trev...

• Like Like x 1
  13. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

you teach them tel, i didnt have balls to say that...;)

14. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Maybe I was wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. According to wife and kids I'm always wrong but that's for another thread on another day.
    I'd still say it's a special location though

• Like Like x 1
  15. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

thats awful trev that you feel like this, its in black and white in the regs that decide whats what.. shame you feel this way ;)