Discuss Advice on re-siting a consumer unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Capn Ahab

So, passed my 2391. Get in. :punk:

Have now got a job to replace a consumer unit and wire up a couple of water heater circuits that I will use for my assessment to join a comp persons scheme (I'm thinking Elecsa).

The job is pretty straight forward, apart from the fact that the CU is under the kitchen counter next to the washing machine. Customer wants it moved up about 1.5 metres on same wall, which means it will be about a metre away from the kitchen sink. She also wants tails from the isolator chased into the wall from point of entry.

My questions are this:

1. Given that I will probably have to extend a load of circuits to get them to reach the new CU location, what is the safest way of doing this that complies with the regs?

2. Is the location ok? It's not a special location, but would it be advisable to get a CU IP-rated to withstand splashing, or cover the CU in some other way?

3. The only protection on the supply tails is the distributor fuse, and cable buried in walls need to either be 5cm deep or mechanically or RCD protected, so I'm guessing this idea is a non-flyer. Anyone advise me different?

Thanks!

So, passed my 2391. Get in. :punk:

Have now got a job to replace a consumer unit and wire up a couple of water heater circuits that I will use for my assessment to join a comp persons scheme (I'm thinking Elecsa).

The job is pretty straight forward, apart from the fact that the CU is under the kitchen counter next to the washing machine. Customer wants it moved up about 1.5 metres on same wall, which means it will be about a metre away from the kitchen sink. She also wants tails from the isolator chased into the wall from point of entry.

My questions are this:

1. Given that I will probably have to extend a load of circuits to get them to reach the new CU location, what is the safest way of doing this that complies with the regs? Crimp and extend is perhaps the easiest way, IMO the best way would be adaptable box with din rail and connections

2. Is the location ok? It's not a special location, but would it be advisable to get a CU IP-rated to withstand splashing, or cover the CU in some other way? Why would someone even consider having a CU in the open in the kitchen. Try and get her to cover it or box it in.

3. The only protection on the supply tails is the distributor fuse, and cable buried in walls need to either be 5cm deep or mechanically or RCD protected, so I'm guessing this idea is a non-flyer. Anyone advise me different? SWA, MICC or steel plate

Thanks!

Get a new customer

so the tails will require overcurrent protection as well. and if buried, RCD

Get a new customer

Who has a supply of compliant customers ready to do exactly what they're told then and how do I get some? Lol

Cheers for the advice, I thought steel plate would be the way to go. As for the location, I last spoke to her a month ago and it was up the air until she emailed me with what she wants a couple of days ago. Think I may have to visit again and be persuasive....

beg to differ. kitchen is not a special location, but according to part pee, work in a kitchen is notifiable. it's ony BS7671 that defines what is, and is not , a special location, not the building regs.

Maybe I was wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. According to wife and kids I'm always wrong but that's for another thread on another day.
I'd still say it's a special location though

I'll have to check mate and when I do , if you and Tel are correct I shall issue a public apology but right now I'm starting to think about climbing into me bed because I'm up early tomorrow:)

Last edited by a moderator:
remember if you use steel plate, it needs to protect the tails, well, from all sides!

It would be better if it were all surface mounted, or in trunking. Alot easier.

As said by others there must be a better place for it!

I'll have to check mate and when I do , if you and Tel are correct I shall issue a public apology but right now I'm starting to think about climbing into me bed because I'm up early tomorrow:)

unless, of course your kitchen contains a bath or shower, sauna, swimming pool, or used by livestock, and a few other conditions..........

Reply to Advice on re-siting a consumer unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net