Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Advice on testing Ze please....... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Baddegg

Baddegg Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x Electrician's Arms

As per a couple of previous threads am now at first fix stage and am thinking about testing,
    Set up is tn-s,main income tails split through Henley into switch fuse isolater and 10mm 3 core sea out to (approx 20mtrs) Cu unit in man cave/pub
    Never tested a unit so far from the origin that wasn’t a sub db, questions are is this still considered a sub board? Am I right in thinking I need to take ze at the origin before switch fuse isolator? As to take it at the Cu is not external? And if so what would I record on the sheet for the swa feeding the unit?
    Hope that makes sense?
    Thanks in advance as always

2. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

A reading at the CU would be the Zs of the distribution circuit feeding that CU.
    A Ze is taken at the origin with the installation isolated and all parallel paths removed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Grezza

Grezza Active EF Member

The CU feed is a final circuit so as above, remove all PP and test at incoming.

I’d also test at the CU and record as a Zdb and note where it was taken from.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baddegg

Thanks chaps, I’m fine with ze at origin etc just with why the shed Cu becomes a final/distribution circuit as opposed to a normal Cu,is it just because it’s more than 3 mtrs and the isolator has been introduced?

5. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

Any loop reading within the consumers installation will be a Zs, be it at the end of a final circuit or distribution circuit. I'm not sure what you mean by "normal CU" and how any other CU would differentiate with the one in this shed.

6. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Electrician's Arms

Is the CU in question fed from the Switch fuse? If not, surely it needs some protection being >3m.
    Where do the other tails go to?

7. Baddegg

Hi Archie yes unit in question is fed from the switch fuse,the other tails go to the Cu in the house as per original set up

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  8. Baddegg

Sorry Andy, I’m starting to confuse meself here,normal Cu being any standard household unit less than 3 mtr tails, where you’d take your ze as per normal, I’ve tested sub db’s before that have been feed through an mcb on the household unit and understand why they are considered final circuits, as this setup (the unit in the man cave) is on its own after the switch isolator it’s caused me to think a bit more about I how I record my readings and where I take them from,

9. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

Not half as confused as I am.

Back to original post

Any circuit that feeds a distribution board is a distribution circuit.

10. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

Yes.

11. Baddegg

Thanks Andy

12. ChrisElectrical88

ChrisElectrical88 Forum Mentor

Ze at Origen.
    Zdb at Dist Board.
    Switch fuse to be treated as its own board on the certificate. Dist board will be the circuit from this switch fuse so R1+R2 IR etc will need to be taken on the sub main.

If that makes sense

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baddegg

Perfect thanks Chris,

• Like Like x 2
  14. ChrisElectrical88

ChrisElectrical88 Forum Mentor

So on your Circuit schedule your circuit will be call for example 'Submain to DB - DB1' and filled out and tested as any other circuit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Interesting read ....... so the origin is the DNO fuse? No - so the Ze to be taken at the Henley block?

• Like Like x 2