Discuss SUB MAIN QUESTIONS. ADVICE NEEDED in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been asked to take over a job an electrician has started, and has moved abroad.

The house is a big mansion, with a 3PH supply, with 100A fuse on each Phase.

The electrician has ran 2 25mm 3core armours to another 2 DB’s in the mansion, and there has to be a DB fitted where the incoming supply is, bringing it to a total of 3 DBs.

In the plant room, there is also a 3PH heat pump.

However, my question is how would you all terminate the sub mains. Would you bring each phase into a Henley block, and branch off into a 80A switched fuse for the armour sub mains, and take a tail off the Henley blocks for each phase into a separate enclosure with a protective device for the heat pump, or would you fit a TPN board, and bring all armours into it + the heat pump supply?

If it’s a TPN board would you fit MCBs or MCCBs for the 25mm armours? Is there even

I’m a new build house basher, so this is abit more complex to what I’m used to, even though it’s a new build, so please go easy on me🤣 I am simply just wanting advice to keep me right.

Ignore me I assumed the DBs they were supplying were three phase but they are obviously consumer units.

You could also use a busbar enclosure and switch fuses.
I think the spark had went down the route of Henley blocks and splitting out to 2 80A switched fuses, and then splitting out to a 50A 3phase supply for the heat pump, for cost reasons to save money on the likes of an MCCB panel.

Now, I know it will look like spaghetti junction and what not with loads of 25mm tails, but is there any regs that state this isn’t a compliant method of supplying all the sub mains.

Would like to be clued up on this so I can give client all the options, and give me peace of mind that if they go with the cheap option of Henley blocks, then atleast it’s compliant.

Thanks so much for your time replying to the thread

IMG_2248.jpeg

This is what the electrician has intended to do it seems to save the client the cost of an MCCB panel.. would like to reiterate its not the way I would do it, but want to clear up if it’s compliant, regardless of how messy it may seem

IMG_2249.jpeg

This is what the client showed me that he had bought for the tails to enter from the Henley blocks, and then feed the armour to the other DBS, whilst protecting the armour with an 80A fuse

There is nothing wrong with this but it looks a bit "housebasher", apologies for this. When I do a job I like to look back and think that is a good job rather than not look back knowing there was a better more professional way. What about surge protection?

Don't think you can run tails directly to a 3 phase MCB for the heat pump, would need some kind of main switch as well wouldn't it. Why not fit a small 3 phase board for DB3 and run the heat pump from there, maybe a type A board if it doesn't need to be too big.

Oh and BTW I've taken over the odd job over the years where the original electrician "has gone AWOL" one time he supposedly "went abroad to learn sky diving", another time the spark had "broke his leg". But those jobs had one common denominator, getting paid was a pain in the arse. Make of that what you will.

Reminds me of a large house i did, very similar. Used TPN board in plant room and fed all local loads and submains from that board. Submains were C63 MCBs, GSHP C50 from memory. As mentioned one isolator for whole property, easy to expand and does not take up huge space with fused submains.... who uses fuses nowadays, lol.

There is nothing wrong with this but it looks a bit "housebasher", apologies for this. When I do a job I like to look back and think that is a good job rather than not look back knowing there was a better more professional way. What about surge protection?
Can they not be fitted at each DB to protect all appliances ?

I had thought
Reminds me of a large house i did, very similar. Used TPN board in plant room and fed all local loads and submains from that board. Submains were C63 MCBs, GSHP C50 from memory. As mentioned one isolator for whole property, easy to expand and does not take up huge space with fused submains.... who uses fuses nowadays, lol
I had thought about a TPN board, but was wary of the fact one of the DBs the 25mm armour feeds has a 10mm shower circuit, 10mm induction hob circuit, 2 ovens, few rings circuits, few lightening circuits etc. So 63A on the armour may not be acceptable?

Do MCBs not go upto 63A max? Would the above load on the DB not potentially pop the 63A? MCCB panel sounds more appropriate as you can use the 80A MCCB to give it some more juice, but it must’ve been too costly for the client, and that’s why the spark had bought the 80A switched fuses

Don't think you can run tails directly to a 3 phase MCB for the heat pump, would need some kind of main switch as well wouldn't it. Why not fit a small 3 phase board for DB3 and run the heat pump from there, maybe a type A board if it doesn't need to be too big.

Oh and BTW I've taken over the odd job over the years where the original electrician "has gone AWOL" one time he supposedly "went abroad to learn sky diving", another time the spark had "broke his leg". But those jobs had one common denominator, getting paid was a pain in the arse. Make of that what you will.
Yeah that was my plan, a small board with a main switch/mcb, then out to a rotary isolator..

My sketch was a bit misleading

Reply to SUB MAIN QUESTIONS. ADVICE NEEDED in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net