Discuss PME Supply Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just put in a second CU for the car charger.
There is a Henley blocks at the cut out.
Looking at you pics.

There are henley blocks yes, but they are not part of the consumers installation, they belong to the DNO/BNO and the consumers installation begins at the isolation link fitted in the flat.

This is not the usual supply arrangement where the meter is the final part of the DNO equipment, in this installation the meter is further upstream and the isolation link in the flat is the final part of the DNO equipment.

Lots of confusion here it seems.

That looks to me like a block of flats which had it's electricity supplies installed by a regional electricity board in the days when they existed and before anyone realised that distributing PME internally in a building is a very bad idea.

These days the individual services to each flat would be TNS with only the incoming main possibly being TNCS.

So what you have there is a concentric/CNE (combined neutral and earth) cable coming in to the cutout, then the meter and outgoing from that another CNE cable coming out of there and presumably going to a redhead isolation link in the flat.

In this arrangement the consumers supply terminals are at the outgoing side of the redhead isolation link and not at the meter as they would normally be.

So the consumers installation begins and the flat and everything before that is the property of the DNO, except the DNOs have washed their hands of internal wiring a n blocks of flats and it magically became the property/problem of the BNO (which may not even exist for the building)
Yes, the issue with the DNO washing their hands of the internal wiring is what leaves everything in limbo. I daresay if I contact them they will want nothing to do with it.

Practically, it is impossible to get a feed back down from the flat (5th floor) therefore this seems to be the only option to provide them with the socket. It's just the earthing situation that has thrown a spanner in the works.

Yes, the issue with the DNO washing their hands of the internal wiring is what leaves everything in limbo. I daresay if I contact them they will want nothing to do with it.

Which DNO is it? You might be lucky and find they accept their legacy issue.
Practically, it is impossible to get a feed back down from the flat (5th floor) therefore this seems to be the only option to provide them with the socket. It's just the earthing situation that has thrown a spanner in the works.

I think hunk you've misunderstood my earlier point. Those service connector blocks and the outgoing cable are almost certainly not part of the customer's installation, they will be the property of the DNO/BNO.

The customer's installation begins at the cutout in the flat.

Are you in agreement that a run back to the earth bar is the only feasible option?

A run of what to which earth bar?

This is an interesting situation which needs some careful thought. For one the internal PME services are going to be causing all sorts of diverted neutral currents to flow through the services and structural steelwork of that building, the last thing you want to be doing is making that situation any worse!

A run of what to which earth bar?

This is an interesting situation which needs some careful thought. For one the internal PME services are going to be causing all sorts of diverted neutral currents to flow through the services and structural steelwork of that building, the last thing you want to be doing is making that situation any worse!
In an earlier post I mentioned there was an earth bar in another mains room, the earth bar is connected to the Ryefield that, in turn, supplies these fuses. Would it be possible to run an earth from here to the new CU?

In an earlier post I mentioned there was an earth bar in another mains room, the earth bar is connected to the Ryefield that, in turn, supplies these fuses. Would it be possible to run an earth from here to the new CU?

No, that is part of a different earthing system, don't mix the different earthing systems unless you have given proper engineering consideration to the implications of this. If you are going to mix the earthing systems then you will probably need to install a much bigger CPC than you first expect, but that is beyond my abilities so I would leave that up to an engineer to specify.

Reply to PME Supply Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net