Discuss ... advice on this situation please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would stuck with the original plan and fit a new sub board for your circuits and leave the rest to be sorted by whoever fitted it and don't get involved with it. If client insists you change board I would walk away

I agree with this . No need to walk away , Explain you won't certify and take responsibility for work completed by other contractors . You could fit a new board large enough to accommodate a mains change whilst connecting only your circuits .

Thank you all for your time and responses.

I have had a conversation with the client and made myself clear how I felt about the situation.

He has contacted the contractors who employed the previous sparks and has asked for them to put there name to it and test/certificate the works etc. If they dont. Then he’ll have to get an another electrician in to do an EICR on the whole property and carry out what evers required.

I think it set in with the client how much of a mess this all is and got him questioning some other bits a piece regarding previous trades.

Anyway...

The builders sound as a pound. He knows the score when it comes to covering ones arse. I’ll put the a board in for our work as per usual and crack on.

First of all :- what would you say in the coroners court?? start from there and work back. You're the latest on site therefore you're first in the queue if it turns to ----.
YOU CANNOT CERTIFY OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK!! You can only certify what you yourself have done
However you can verify that what other's have done is compliant ( or not)
I'm a Kiwi electrical Inspector and have been away from the UK for more than 12 years so I don't know the current fine print but the principles are the same wherever you are
DOCUMENT EVERYTHING
DIARY NOTE EVERYTHING INCLUDING EVERY CONVERSATION
Depending on the customer and your preferences this could be a total crock of crap or a nice little money mine. Your choice.
It would be really unwise to get the previous sparkies back on the job. Ask yourself why aren't they still there? and why did they do ---- work?
Start as if the whole situation is a new job and rectify all the non compliant stuff ........ cheerfully. Try not to bad mouth the previous sparkies as it will actually make you look bad.
You need to create the impression that you are a competent and careful tradie with the customer's best interests at heart.
It's tedious but you should price everything and get customer approval before you lift a screwdriver otherwise it WILL bite you on the arse.
Look very carefully at the relationship between yourself, the builder and the owner. Make sure all three of you are on the same page and there are no misunderstandings.
I've been in this situation myself.
depending on how you handle it it could lead to ongoing profitable work.
It won't be easy
Best of luck

Oh and by the way don't be bashful about charging a decent amount for your work. don't undersell yourself

One of the hardest things for me to learn was, and still is, walk away. Even now I can look back at emergency call-outs where I have endeavoured to leave a safe and working system behind me for a family and what I should have been focused on is "if this goes up, you were the last person to touch it which virtually absolves every cowboy that got there ahead of you". The steady cry of "walk away" from the experience hands in here is like having your mum saying "mind how you cross the road" - it might be a repeat but no less valuable.

Reply to ... advice on this situation please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net