• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Advice please on lighting for a workshop. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I would be grateful if some of you could assist me with selecting appropriate lighting. Yes, it's for this Men's Shed again, sorry...
Basically, I am looking at these fittings
LEDlite LED Modular 1200 x 600 - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LEDlite_Modulars_1200/index.html
Nor sure which colour temperature to go with, but that's not my main question. I need to know how many I need to provide enough lighting for our workshops. We have 2 big workshops and 2 small ones. The big ones are the same size, and the small ones are also the same size, about half the size of the big ones. I think we need something like 75 lumens /square metre?
I have tried to find a calculator, have contacted the only distributor, TLC, who told me to phone the manufacturer who told me they would get back to me soon, but I really need to crack on.
If anyone can tell me what I need for the big workshop size, I can guess the rest! Of course, I can add extra if necessary, but I would like to do one installation and that's it.
The big workshop is 10m x 3.3m and the ceiling height is 3m. I need the light intensity to be sufficient for working at benches with a lathe and pillar drill and hand tools etc and also for the kitchen area. I have guesstimated that I would need 8 units, in four banks of two, evenly distributed along the ceiling. Task lighting can be added also, if required.
I would like this to be bright, obviously, and would prefer not to over-light the space because I don't want the added hassle of dimmers.
Also, if I may ask your opinion on another point, these modules can be fitted with accessory kits to provide emergency lighting, thus obviating a separate circuit and units for that. Has anyone used these? It seems like a neat solution.
Thanks in advance, as I know some of you will have experience in this.
Naturally, any other suggestions would be welcomed!

Hi Pirate !
I prefer the warm lighting colour temps as a personal choice. The other stuff I'm not going to be much use with, sorry.

I think we need something like 75 lumens /square metre?

Just been having a nosy on Google. Not sure where you got your figure from but see this for alternative figures.

rough guide would be 20 -25 600 x 600 panels each 34 watts. that's what i fitted in an offoce 6m x 6m. similar area to your 10 x 3.3. and i'd go for cool white or daylight. warm white is for decrepit old coffin dodgers. ( me and pete excluded).

Yes , get daylight . With rotating machinery you are spot on with EM.
I did an eight metre by four metre with HF twin six foot (eight or nine fittings in total) diagonally switched in parallel lines , and additional ones over the work benches . It is like daylight .
The diagonal switching reduces the lighting when not required. I have EM above the benches and door as there is no natural light.
The Led equivalents would probably be fine, although I am unsure about strobe effect as I am not a complete convert to led yet. :)

The Led equivalents would probably be fine, although I am unsure about strobe effect as I am not a complete convert to led yet.

Philistine.LEDs are much more user friendly than florrys.

Lol, this was awhile ago.
I have converted my mates showroom signs to led , and the showroom downlighters too.
He is going to have the workshops done too as time dictates. :)

Wilko, Spoon, Tel, Ruston...thanks to you all for your input! Much appreciated, as I am such a novice here...Tel, I am looking at the 1200 x 600 units at 70W, so maybe 10 of those? I really like daylight, and I could put a dimmer if I overdo it.
Any comments on the emergency lighting accessory?
I like the diagonal approach...seems like a good flexible idea.
Really do appreciate your help!

if using 10 1200 x 600's, get 2 that are EM.

The thing that I've noticed regarding LED lighting and reading the above it's not the size or the wattage of the fitting it is the light output.

The way I play it is (was) 1 in 4 of the light fittings should be emergency fittings, plus running man fittings above the emergency exits.
Apart from that, first aid stations and fire extinguishers should also be illuminated.

Certain members may disagree with me and say I shouldn't consider emergency lighting at all since you need to do a special course.

Thanks again guys for your input! We have 3 entrances/exits, where the fire extinguishers are located, and a First Aid point, so will put the emergency lighting accessories there, plus 2 wheelchair accessible toilets, so I think we'll put one of the 600 x 600 in each, with the emergency lighting on those panels. In fact, I'll maybe just buy 2 of the 600x600 panels with emergency lighting packs, install them in the toilets, and use them to assess the light levels needed eleswhere, and indeed to decide if these are the right panels for the job. That way I can have a trial run to see how they are fitted and connected too.
While I'm here, on a different topic, it's time to fit the kitchen...has anyone used these?
Zipbolt Worktop Connectors - https://www.axminster.co.uk/zipbolt-worktop-connectors-ax890045
or know of similar ones?
I like these, too!
Woodworking | Toronto on Instagram: “@festool_usa connectors for the win! These connectors are great for larger furniture that will need to be taken apart later such as a bed…” - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bajva6Wglxt/?taken-by=jeffmackdesigns

Thanks again guys for your input! We have 3 entrances/exits, where the fire extinguishers are located, and a First Aid point, so will put the emergency lighting accessories there, plus 2 wheelchair accessible toilets, so I think we'll put one of the 600 x 600 in each, with the emergency lighting on those panels. In fact, I'll maybe just buy 2 of the 600x600 panels with emergency lighting packs, install them in the toilets, and use them to assess the light levels needed eleswhere, and indeed to decide if these are the right panels for the job. That way I can have a trial run to see how they are fitted and connected too.
While I'm here, on a different topic, it's time to fit the kitchen...has anyone used these?
Zipbolt Worktop Connectors - https://www.axminster.co.uk/zipbolt-worktop-connectors-ax890045
or know of similar ones?
I like these, too!
Woodworking | Toronto on Instagram: “@festool_usa connectors for the win! These connectors are great for larger furniture that will need to be taken apart later such as a bed…” - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bajva6Wglxt/?taken-by=jeffmackdesigns
OTT over priced crap.

Oh, and on the lighting side, I got no reply from the manufacturer yet as their lighting guru is on holiday, and TLC referred me there as they couldn't assist...then, looking at the 600 x 600 50W panels, the newer version, there is a "How many do I need?" rough guide table under "Technical"...DOH!
I'll let you know...with some pretty pictures too!

I'll go and take a look at that, thanks!
Re emergency lights, going for the add-on modules, maintained fittings. It's a very small space, many windows, 3 exits...no real problem being all on the one, ground floor, level.

Reply to Advice please on lighting for a workshop. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back