Discuss ADVICE please (tool bag / box reccomendations) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Eh? 200 quid on a tool box and lets face it, it's not even that. It's basically a rigid bass.

I'll have a tool box at £40 and then £160 woth of tools, ta.

Jim

Eh? 200 quid on a tool box and lets face it, it's not even that. It's basically a rigid bass.

I'll have a tool box at £40 and then £160 woth of tools, ta.

Jim

I paid 175 ish for mine.

where are you getting 200 from and ive had 2 bags fall apart in half the time ive had the propac so its already paid for itself.

I refuse to carry a toolbox around for miles when I can get a perfectly good bag with a shoulder strap

if I wanted cheap I would just use a drill box

I also have a veto xl and bought it very reluctantly (£149.00) after realising I'd spent twice as much on other makes in 5 years as the cheaper makes just fall apart at around 5 to 6 mths

I personally never liked boxes especially as most sites you had to carry them up flights of stairs which isn't good for your back!

Also bags do stay well organised which saves time, and no one breaks them by standing on them or sawing through the edges!

So in view of this yes they are very expensive but then so are the tools they carry,

I reckon I've usually got @ 5/600 quids worth in mine, had mine for 3 1/2 years now and still in very good condition , a bit dusty but otherwise near new,

So if you can afford it they are well worth the money and for the detractors of spending this much, I think the adage "buy cheap buy twice" is very true in this case

For the OP I'd go for something like a stanley tote they're cheap do the job but won't last more than a year but its not a bad start and with a bit of imagination there are ways to adapt them to make them more organised, ( you may already know this but also you can offset against your tax even if your on the books as you can for any tools )

I did look at the snickers range which do have some good ideas but I felt the quality wasn't there for the money!

index.php

you need to actually link to the image e.g. the .jpg file

I got a decent Stanley metal sided toolbox with a lid you can stand on when I was in my second year of my apprenticeship for about £30.

I've still got it, the catches are a bit bent but it still holds all the heavy/non-everyday tools, hammers, chisels, stocks nd dies, nibblers etc.

I also have a bag for everyday tools and a tool belt I use to hold tools for little odds nd sods jobs.

I think whatever you get tool bag/box wise will drive you mad and be next to useless or no different from a strong carrier bag. Ive had boxes, tote bags and now oh how a hate it, a tech ck bag thing. I can never find anything, nothing fits into the stupid loop things, on fact I seem to loose things on regular basis. I hate this bag even more than a tote bag and i regularly attack it with my pad saw or screwdriver for being so completely useless…

I stopped buying any bags/boxes described as "electrician's" years ago when I realised that they are either unsuitable or overpriced because they're targeted at electricians.

For the last six years I've been using a carpenter's/kitchen fitter's bag which is Howden's own brand. It's far better quality than any of the electricians bags I've seen and that includes the ridiculously high priced ones. The perimeter has more than enough pockets and loop for drivers, strippers etc etc. In the middle goes everything else because while there are dividers I don't need them.

They're designed to hold hammers, drivers, chisels, drill bits etc so they cope very well. When you consider that the tools an electrician uses are no different in the main than a chippy there's no reason to spend £150 - £200 on a bag because it says "electrician" in the description. I have a better quality product for £40:00.

I stopped buying any bags/boxes described as "electrician's" years ago when I realised that they are either unsuitable or overpriced because they're targeted at electricians.

For the last six years I've been using a carpenter's/kitchen fitter's bag which is Howden's own brand. It's far better quality than any of the electricians bags I've seen and that includes the ridiculously high priced ones. The perimeter has more than enough pockets and loop for drivers, strippers etc etc. In the middle goes everything else because while there are dividers I don't need them.

They're designed to hold hammers, drivers, chisels, drill bits etc so they cope very well. When you consider that the tools an electrician uses are no different in the main than a chippy there's no reason to spend £150 - £200 on a bag because it says "electrician" in the description. I have a better quality product for £40:00.

I am sure you have a nice bag and are happy with it, but am confident my £190 bag will be of better quality and more suited to our trade. I'm afraid I'll have to agree to disagree with you.

i agree that some tools are the same, but on the whole they are quite different.

I am sure you have a nice bag and are happy with it, but am confident my £190 bag will be of better quality and more suited to our trade. I'm afraid I'll have to agree to disagree with you.

i agree that some tools are the same, but on the whole they are quite different.

can you post a picture? it sounds like a good option for op

YOUR like a bunch of bloody women argueing over bags, my bags bigger than your bag. You will all be bloody dancing round them next, get yoursen's a good cantalever metal toolbox.
Right i finished now, so carry on Girls :sifone:

The Stanley fat max open tote bag is good, and as shaky says, the facom bag, that looks nice too, I keep the Stanley bag in the van just with the heavy bits in like files and hammers etc.

I tried them, but still went and bought two Veto Pro Pac OT-XL bags at £185 a shot, nothing comes even remotely close to them in quality or functionality.

engineer54 has the right idea, best of spending it on tools, but I think he is just jealous because he hasn't got one lol :yesnod:, he still uses a tesco carrier bag, me personally like to have top quality bags to carry my tools in, but...tools are more important that the bag.

I still have and use, the all leather sectionalised tool bag i was issued with as a 2nd year apprentice, which is very similar to those issued to old LEB electricians. I doubt very much if the VETO or most of the other modern logo'd grossly expensive tool bags will last as long as mine has, and mine wasn't new when it was issued to me either!!

I use 2 bags and a toolbox, 1st a small army surplus radio bag (had it 10 yrs) and 2nd a ck technician backpack for about a year (no complaints) and then a toolbox(stanley fatmax) for the larger and rare use items the best of the lot is the army surplus bag 5 quid takes plenty screwdrivers spanners crimpers meter wire strippers allen keys essentially a lot ,for me its why lug everything when you can take only what you need even if it does look like a camouflaged handbag

Grab totals yourself a bargain boys and girls

At first it said the Stanley fatmax tool bag costing £39.99 at homebase was going to cost me £19.99 plus £3.95 p&p

When I went to pay it only cost £20.95 in total

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181389619402&alt=web

Half price, not bad at all

ypygy3yq.jpg

I had one of those, there not as hard wearing as you think I destroyed mine after less than 6months (my first tool bag at work when I didnt have any tools)

I had one of those, there not as hard wearing as you think I destroyed mine after less than 6months (my first tool bag at work when I didnt have any tools)

Let's hope I can get more than 6 months out of it, I actually bought a 19" tool bag yesterday,a very similar design, as leather flap over the top so it's not always open like a tote bag but then I saw the Stanley for £20 today so thought I'd buy that also, the 2 will hopefully last a year+

YOUR like a bunch of bloody women argueing over bags, my bags bigger than your bag. You will all be bloody dancing round them next, get yoursen's a good cantalever metal toolbox.
Right i finished now, so carry on Girls :sifone:

Give me room girls,I now have 2 bags to dance around ha

Learn to look after your toys , Boys and Girls

Reply to ADVICE please (tool bag / box reccomendations) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net