Discuss Advice with front outside wall lanterns in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello my leccy friends. I need advice on installing front outside lanterns. Basically I already have 2 wall lanterns either side of garage. One by the drain pipe. It looks very nice with philips hue bulbs. Only thing is, it looks off as there is no light on the right side which the porch ends and the front room bay window. But I'm not sure where there install it. I can't put it on the bay window unless low level. Might look off. Any advice would be good. I'm a leccy by the way.
Screenshot_20211229-175214_Maps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If there’s one either side of the garage then anything extra will probably break the natural balance you already have.
So I afraid I can’t see any obvious option for another wall lantern. Only spot is to right of bay window really and that would be different height.
I’d probably put a more discreet style under the right hand porch window.
You might also consider different types of light to cover that area. Maybe LED tape/fairy lights around the porch.
Or 2 or 3 floor mounted post lights in front of the bay?!

Thanks tim. Issue is, I wanted philips hue so I can set colour themes. Other issue is when my van is parked up front of the garage, it blocks the left side lantern. So you can't see both lights at the same time from the road. I was thinking of putting another lantern on the corner of the porch upvc. So kind of in between the end of porch and beginning of bay window. Hmm not sure though.

If it was me I'd ditch the whole lot - especially that ugly floodlight - and make use of the low level soffet and add anything aesthetically pleasing over to the right. Let's face it, those Hue lamps are going to pack in sooner or later, so cut your losses at this early stage.

The lanterns are stardard es fittings with hue lamps. There about 4 years old. I can just replace the lamps. I got these hue lamps for £8 each. Can't complain. I like the idea of using the soffit though. May look into that.

Reply to Advice with front outside wall lanterns in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net