Discuss Advice?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
just wondering if anyone could give any advice on my next moves to straighten out my flagging sparking career?
I was enrolled on a JTL apprenticeship in 1999-2002 and working for a pretty large local firm.
I passed my first year(Level 2 C&G,pretty sure it was then called 2360),I passed my AM1.
I then done my whole second year(Level 3),but failed part of the exam,was then sacked from my job of 3 years for a trivial unrelated incident,which was unfair.
So I basically never finished my qualification and was taken off the apprenticeship.
I got other jobs as the apprentice/mate but was no longer in college and due to being a naive foolish 20 year old,I didnt do nothing about it and just continued to work,I was still earning a good wage so i just carried on and was never out of work.
I basically got to a point where i was 'time served' and just as good (if not better) than most of the other sparks i was working with but getting less money.
I passed my 16th edition and my ECS but I could only get graded as a labourer.
A guy I worked with recomended me to someone that had offered him a job and just said I was a fully qual spark.
It all went well and I was there for a few years then work dried up and I was laid off,worked for a few firms since and been paid as a spark(most being aware of my situation yet still choosing to pay me a decent rate as id been recommended by mutual friends).
The last few years though,work has been slow and im struggling to find something permanent.
I can test aswell but not yet done 2391 and I recently got my 17th edition,which I found really easy and got 90 odd percent.
Im not comfortable trying to blag my way through interviews with strangers and risk looking like a liar,when im actually really good at the job.
Basically I want to correct this now,I know I would easily pass but im not even sure what courses I would need to do as its all changed since my day.
Any information,guidance,options or anything on this subject will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Talk to 'Trade skills 4 you' based in London I found them to be very good. and worth traveling a long way for, I went from the lake district and stayed at a b&b or hotel. whatever you do DONT go to BTSC I started with them and they liquidated one of there centres and left with my and a lot of others money. good luck

Go to your local technical college and talk to the electrical lecturers there. They will most likely recommend that you retake the level you failed then maybe you can get on the NVQ3.
It'll be a damn sight cheaper than one of these training centres too

Cheaper yes but time to complete the course much longer & if he already knows his stuff might not wont to wade through two or three years at college. I would talk to both in the end its what's going to work for you.

Well he said he had done L3 and only failed one part. I thought maybe a refresher on that bit then a resit would be an option. Nice, quick pass then on to NVQ3. Jobs a goodun, I could be wrong of course, I seem to remember that happening once a long time ago:)

Cheaper yes but time to complete the course much longer & if he already knows his stuff might not wont to wade through two or three years at college. I would talk to both in the end its what's going to work for you.

Seank I agree with the technical college route yes its longer but in a way it shows up these training companies as Wham Bham outfits that leaves the trainee in my view out on a limb the thing is be a spark in 5 weeks sound great but as we all know it does not work out that way. I sat my 2377 last year not because I had to but because of the Urban Myths from PAT testing companies who say you cannot do it unless you are qualified so I could have spent £215 at a local Schemie for a morning Wham Bham course insted I used my local technical college for £195 on a 6 week nightclass

Another vote for speaking to a college first,it's amazing how long qualifications stay "live" for and even just finishing a few modules off could be enough to sort you out.

go to your tech college and just ask them, they can help more, i passed part 1 and 2 but have no idea on wot the new names are called now lol

i vote for college to

Hi oldtimer, I'm not so young myself and the thought of spending three years, one day a week to become trained was not at all appealing. I spent over a year in one or two week blocks getting my NVQ 2 & 3, 17th edition, inspection & testing ext. is that any different? its more intense you have to work hard but you take the same tests. you have to be very focused or you don't pass If I was younger I would prob. have taken the college rout too. I passed with Credits & distinctions and am now 'technically competent' and working towards full competency. Its definitely not 'wham bam' As for the PAT testing that's a joke, Iv done that course too and I think I you have passed the Inspection and testing 2391 you are more than qualified to PAT test.

Terrelec, you mention the ECS card Labourer Grade. If having the ECS card is important to you then you need to call them, explain your situation and ask what you need to do in order to be graded as an Electrician or Approved Electrician. They will advise on the courses you need to take. You can then contact the colleges as others have advised . What the colleges consider you need to do in order to become qualified is often different from the ECS requirements, hence my suggestion that you speak to ECS first. The market is very difficult as you know. All of the large sites require ECS cards and all the large employers will require you to have one so if you want to maximise your opportunities I would suggest that you aim to meet the ECS requirements. Good luck!

thanks for your thoughts guys,college/nvq route sounds the best option,there is that may various ''elecctrician'' qualifications these days,was thinkin there may have been a better option,but these fast or online quals all seem a bit shady.iv worked with a few of these ''sparks''and they may have well have got their cards free in a box of corn flakes coz they all had no idea wot they were doing,wouldnt want to be labelled as one on first impressions

the ECS is not important to me personally,but as you say,most big sites and firms ask for it,so im in a bit of bad position,iv no doubt that if i was given a chance to prove myself i would not disapoint,iv always just got work through people i know,who know what im capable of but everyone i know is slow at the mo,its so frustating being out of work for the first time in 15 years,
contacting ECS sounds like a good suggestion,thanks

Talk to 'Trade skills 4 you' based in London I found them to be very good. and worth traveling a long way for, I went from the lake district and stayed at a b&b or hotel. whatever you do DONT go to BTSC I started with them and they liquidated one of there centres and left with my and a lot of others money. good luck
BTSC..really....i went down to see them about 4 years ago....before i decided on the college route...building trades skills centres....they had a place down croydon....dont know if its that one that has shut.....but thats the one that i visited....i looked at a few of these `training centres` and quickly came to the conclusion that they were ok for furthering skills/gaining short qualls/certs...but that was it as far as they were concerned...if you wanted to get into sparkying properly.....then college/further education centres were the way forward...and still are....these `training centres` would have you believe that the training they offer is the same that you can expect from a college...likewise they will also try to convince you that they fulfill the same role that a local college will fulfill within the communities they serve.....both of these are fake.....they are out to serve themselves..(with not inconsiderable amounts of the unsuspecting`s cash i might add)...they do nothing for the areas/communities they are in.....nothing at all....in fact...most of the employees at such places are not likely to live locally either.....

Would agree with the above as the colleges give good service because they have to plus these training companies do tend to cut corners plus its all about sales as i said before the Scehemies wanted £205 for a half day PAT course the college was 6 weeks of night class

Reply to Advice?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net