Discuss Aico vs FireAngel with app notifications in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

chriso

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I'm having a full house rewire. I want to have mains smoke alarms, heat alarms, carbon alarm next to boiler, internet connectivity to notify an app via gateway and a wall controller to test/silence.

Based on this I've priced up a FireAngel system (just on components) at £500. I've done a like for like on the spreadsheet looking at Aico and it comes out at £900.

The electricians that have come out have all recommended Aico. The thing is each alarm requires a separate rf module, which adds £330 to the price. It's a shame they aren't built in, even if the alarm was slightly more expensive.

Anyone has experience of both?

If I went with wired Aico, using the RF module is required to communicate with Ei1000G SmartLINK Gateway, which means no communication wire between them. I can't see which app you would get alerts on, there are different aico apps on the store by different developers.

p.s I like Google Nest but they've shot themselves in the foot not doing a heat alarm

Thanks

Google Nest is not approved in Scotland for interlinked alarms due to the dependency on a 3rd party server.

All the feedback I have heard of gives Aico the top slot for something that actually works and meets the 10 year expectation. My own (very limited) experience was FireAngel sealed units failing with low battery after 2-3 years.

Google Nest is not approved in Scotland for interlinked alarms due to the dependency on a 3rd party server.

"Please note that the Nest Protect System will not meet the standard. This is because they do not meet the requirements for a heat alarm under the relevant British Standard. British Standard (BS 5839-6:2019) states that only heat alarms should be installed in kitchens."

So the issue is no heat alarm, not the way they communicate between them.

Main things I'm wondering with Aico, aside from the extra £400, is notifications in an app when you are away from home. Anyone experience of that?

"Please note that the Nest Protect System will not meet the standard. This is because they do not meet the requirements for a heat alarm under the relevant British Standard. British Standard (BS 5839-6:2019) states that only heat alarms should be installed in kitchens."

Ah I see, they do use wifi between them, not RF, double whammy Google

More than that and covered here:
  • Nest Fire Alarms Are Wi-Fi Interlinked
  • Nest Fire Alarms Do Not Have Tamper-proof batteries
  • Nest Fire Alarms Do Not Detect Heat
  • Nest Fire Alarms Detect Smoke When It's Not Required
The WiFi linking is very important: if you have an electrical fault that starts a fire and takes out the supply to your router, etc, you have lest the interlinked benefit, etc.

Unanimous.

Out of curiosity, £900 just for aico materials? How many detectors is that?
Granted, I don’t know how much the hub thing is.

You say “each alarm requires an rf module”
Do they? If they’re hard wired?
Is this so the app knows which detector has gone off?

Do not use fireangel. You may as well throw your money away, absolutley terrible products
Totally agree having problems with 12 detectors all RF linked main/ battery… they keep alarming whenever… also the pairing set up …so fiddly when all have been installed

Unanimous.

Always try & hard wire… it’s so easy not too, but pain if they play up

Always try & hard wire… it’s so easy not too, but pain if they play up
If you are rewiring anyway then probably cheaper on top.

But for retrofitting without easey cable routing then the Aico ones at least seem to work well and the "remote control" module to test/silence is such a God send when it comes to folks setting them off due to dumb things (smoky candles in living room, etc) without getting A&E involved due to falling off ladders trying to silence ones on a 10' or 12' high ceiling.

Unanimous.

3 heat alarms, 2 smoke alarms, 1 carbon alarm.

Yes, if you want to communicate with the gateway and outside world, each one needs a rf module installed, which is £55. Its not clear if they have an app or just sms/email notifications.

Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 09.50.35.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 7
I swopped my smoke alarms to Aico recently, and was going to have rf module, so I could use the app. Perhaps a landlord might benefit from the use of the app, but not sure what a homeowner would gain?

Another vote for the remote control, which you can get as a hard wired one.

I've previously installed Aico detectors and integrated them with a Texecom intruder alarm system via a relay base (Ei128R) for notifications through the Texecom app, an option to look into if you're just after notifications whether they've activated or not.

If you are rewiring anyway then probably cheaper on top.

That would have been my first suggestion, but marketing info for Aico's SmartLink Gateway states that it's for use with RF devices. I suspect this means it will only communicate with heads that are fitted with RF modules, but would suggest OP confirms this with Aico. Money to be saved if they could get away with only one RF module, but I don't think they can.

Edit: should have finished reading the thread before responding as OP confirmed my suspicion in post #13.

That would have been my first suggestion, but marketing info for Aico's SmartLink Gateway states that it's for use with RF devices. I suspect this means it will only communicate with heads that are fitted with RF modules, but would suggest OP confirms this with Aico. Money to be saved if they could get away with only one RF module, but I don't think they can.

Edit: should have finished reading the thread before responding as OP confirmed my suspicion in post #13.
I think you would only need one RF & mains base to allow the radio link, all alarms could be hard-wired sort. But not something I have actually looked in to in any detail, but did fir two mains and 3 radio devices to a friend's using that approach.

Hmm, so the SmarkLink app looks like its just for installers?

Looking at the screenshot and description. Its also all 1 star reviews saying you can't login, with them responding

"Thanks for your feedback. The SmartLINK App is designed for users with existing log-in details provided to them by their SmartLINK Portal system administrator. If you do not have log-in details for the SmartLINK App, contact your administrator"

It doesn't look like it lets you see an alarm and the status. Not very clear.

Compared to the Nest app which does show you alerts and system status

I can't see much utility in having an app alert you if there is a problem, I have never used the Aico Gateway myself but I could see the information it sends out being rather limited. You might be cheaper with a hardwired aico system and maybe a nest alarm in the hall, in addition to the aico system?

I can't see much utility in having an app alert you if there is a problem

If there is a fire and we are away from home, I get an alert and can call the firebrigade and neighbours, rather than waiting for a neighbour to spot it.

I'm not asking whether or not I should have internet connected smart alarms, I'm trying to work out if Aico, the brand all the electricians have recommended, have their tech together with this stuff.

Reply to Aico vs FireAngel with app notifications in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net