Discuss Aico vs FireAngel with app notifications in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If there is a fire and we are away from home, I get an alert and can call the firebrigade and neighbours, rather than waiting for a neighbour to spot it.

I'm not asking whether or not I should have internet connected smart alarms, I'm trying to work out if Aico, the brand all the electricians have recommended, have their tech together with this stuff.
It won't tell you that you have a fire I think, only that an alarm has activated. The FB would not be impressed, being called to a false activation of a fire alarm system, although your neighbours could confirm.

As said, its a good system for landlords, so they know if tenants are altering a safety system, that the landlord is responsible for.

If there is a fire and we are away from home, I get an alert and can call the firebrigade and neighbours, rather than waiting for a neighbour to spot it.

I'm not asking whether or not I should have internet connected smart alarms, I'm trying to work out if Aico, the brand all the electricians have recommended, have their tech together with this stuff.
Like most folk, I have "do not disturb" set on my smartfone from 11pm - 7am, so I wouldn't get a notification anways!

I'm not asking whether or not I should have internet connected smart alarms, I'm trying to work out if Aico, the brand all the electricians have recommended, have their tech together with this stuff
They have their tech together for the primary purpose of the system, namely detecting fires and ensuring that all units sound using a reliable protocol. Their primary interest is getting everyone out.

Alerting the home owner via a gimmick app is (rightly) secondary. If you want that fit a relay base and use another system for it, e.g.
a) an input to a monitored intruder alarm
b) a CLS Mini Air in bell trigger mode
c) A shelly module with nothing on the output side, which can have rules assigned in Nest.

I'm going back to the basic question which the OP posted.
Fit Aico, not FireAngel. I have never had a call-back to an Aico unit. To be fair, I've never fitted FireAngel, but I wouldn't risk it given many online comments about their unreliability/difficulty in pairing.
As a side-note, before the new Scottish regs came into play, whereby RF fully wireless alarms were permitted, I installed a few "hybrid" systems whereby there was a mains unit in the hall, and 10-year battery alarms elsehwere with RF modules in each unit. Thus, there was a mains supplied unit with RF connectivity (permitted) and other units purely on battery with RF...I did enquire of the LA in all cases and they had no idea, didn't care...and of course these systms are now legitimised by the current regs. Those early installations are all still working fine...and they were all Aico. I test them annually and they just keep on working. The reason for the hybrid nature was to avoid damage to period cornicing and other features.
I did fit another brand recently, customer supplied, and they seemed fine, just as easy to install as Aico, just as easy to pair, and quite a bit smaller and cheaper. I'll try to find out what make they are and post later.
My main reason for this post is to say that prices vary enormously for the Aico units, so it is worth shopping around. Indeed, from some suppliers, the smoke with the RF module included and already installed, is cheaper than the basic unit was during lockdown and before...lockdown was a supply chain problem too.
Today, I checked the price from my 2 main suppliers of Aico units, and compared the price of just one item, the Aico Ei650RF.
On one site, the price is £92.83 inc. VAT and claims a price reduction of £40.84...
On another site, and the one I use now, the same unit is showing at £57.30 inc. VAT.
Both claim that they are ready to go, with RF module included. From my experience, both are.
On that basis, fit Aico, wireless, fit and forget...or add an extra interrogation/reporting module and other accessories to suit your needs.
Aha! I hear you ask, which site was the cheaper of the two?
Well, that'll cost you £30!
LOL!
Seriously...Edwardes was the cheaper site...but always shop around.

and I have the name of the real cheapos...HiSpec
seem to be ok, but you'll never know until you need them!
Have to say, they were very good to install and pair...

Im looking for a battery RF HiSpec heat detector coincidently.

A customer bought a house, and these are already fitted... but they put a smoke in the lounge near a coal fire. I recommended changing to a heat, and putting the smoke somewhere else.
None of my local wholesalers or sheds have them in stock, but i suppose they can get them in.

and I have the name of the real cheapos...HiSpec
seem to be ok, but you'll never know until you need them!
Have to say, they were very good to install and pair...
HiSpec aren't great, never fitted them but pulled out quite a few faulty ones. One of my wholesalers had a big crate of them full of faulty units that had been returned.

Aico all the way for me, not sure if anyone else has recommended it yet lol

A customer bought a house, and these are already fitted... but they put a smoke in the lounge near a coal fire. I recommended changing to a heat, and putting the smoke somewhere else.
None of my local wholesalers or sheds have them in stock, but i suppose they can get them in.
Wouldn't be a good idea to swop for a co alarm near the fire?

Used aico myself for 20 years, have twice given fire angel lithium 10yr wisafe interlinked ones a go (non mains) and on both jobs they have run flat in under 5 years.

Fitted hi spec on a job with a mate as they can be found ludicrously cheap and it was priced new builds, they were simple interlinked ones no cleverness, but no call backs thus far and they looker pretty smart, dont know if they do the kinda thing your after.

Shop around, prices can vary wildly.

Wouldn't be a good idea to swop for a co alarm near the fire?
there’s a co detector in the room already, and the Scottish rules now ask for fire detection in a living room. Smoke detector will give false alarms, so change to heat.

I would have rather changed them for aico, but the customer refuses.

These hispec are fitted, within date and have non replaceable 10 yr battery’s…. So I’ll just add a heat and move the smoke along the hall to the bedroom end (bungalow)

Reply to Aico vs FireAngel with app notifications in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net