Discuss Am I allowed to test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lintay

-
Reaction score
Hi all could someone please help me out with the correct information please,
I have my
2360 part 1+2
Am1
Am2
17th edition
Am I allowed to carry out testing work?
I’ve been told I can only test my own work and no one else’s, so this rules out periodic tests?
Also can I test my own 3 phase work? I’m really confused please help
Thx

yeah write , why do you think you did your am2 for and you 17th to test the idea of the 2391 now is like another notch on the belt.
may be he thinks you might go on your own and do part p.
so if he sends you to test a job tell him I have not got my 2391 .

Do you have the knowledge and experience of the the installations you are looking to conduct a Periodic test on?

Simply put am I allowed to go and do a periodic inspection for him is it legal and am I covered by his insurance as I haven’t got my inspection and testing thx.
All of the tests will be done under his company name I feel I am competent enough having been in the trade 20 years.
Can I carry out this work without my inspection and testing thx

Simply put, the regulations state you only require competence. Since the regs aren't a statutory document it's not about being legal or illegal, it's just about competence.

Or more precisely, being able to prove competence. It's one thing for you to say "I can test and inspect" and you may well be able to, but what evidence do you have other than your word. On the flipside, someone with a recognised qualification has demonstrated to a third party that they have sufficient knowledge and understanding to pass an exam that sets out to demonstrate the required competence.

Whether or not the qualifications are achieving that is an entirely different debate. Currently they are a recognised means of proving your competence, without them he's taking a risk if he lets you test and inspect. Put yourself in his shoes... would you be willing to take that risk?

To test you need to be competent.Having inspection and testing helps prove competency. It's not always necessary, some qualified supervisors don't have it.

It could be a matter of policy. Your boss's method statement may say that testing will only be under taken by personnel with further testing qualifications. This may be to do with general arse covering when it comes to insurance.

thx
Simply put, the regulations state you only require competence. Since the regs aren't a statutory document it's not about being legal or illegal, it's just about competence.

Or more precisely, being able to prove competence. It's one thing for you to say "I can test and inspect" and you may well be able to, but what evidence do you have other than your word. On the flipside, someone with a recognised qualification has demonstrated to a third party that they have sufficient knowledge and understanding to pass an exam that sets out to demonstrate the required competence.

Whether or not the qualifications are achieving that is an entirely different debate. Currently they are a recognised means of proving your competence, without them he's taking a risk if he lets you test and inspect. Put yourself in his shoes... would you be willing to take that risk?
that makes sens

To test you need to be competent.Having inspection and testing helps prove competency. It's not always necessary, some qualified supervisors don't have it.

It could be a matter of policy. Your boss's method statement may say that testing will only be under taken by personnel with further testing qualifications. This may be to do with general arse covering when it comes to insurance.
Thx

Another aspect,with regard to due diligence,is the customers requirement to know the worth of any testing documents.

Private,individual customers,are limited to their ability to investigate competency,beyond,scheme frontage and googling...

Larger hiring bodies,such as local authorities,or large private housing groups,are expected to have more of a handle on things,and their insurers may have minimum standards,or some form of vetting,for the folk whose names grace important documents.

This has been coming about for a while,now,with gas,electric,fire-safety and other issues,forming the backbone of any litigious activity...as recent events in London,will reveal.

Companies who go from 100 to 1000 inspections,in a year,and cope by taking on half a dozen more "inspectors"...yet have the same names appearing on the certs,are obviously going to be under the spotlight,come disaster time.

So,a long-winded way of saying to the OP,as long as those in the chain of cert-staring,are happy with your name at the bottom,and you are confident in it being there...inspect away :)

Reply to Am I allowed to test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net