Discuss Am I being taken for a ride? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Investigation of supply wiring and condition of main isolator. This is where he said he could not test the main wiring, but then when one of you chaps said he must have the equipment to be able to test it, his reply was that he needs to test the connection, he said there was a 3 meter rule and that the join would be too far in for him to be able to test! and that it was the connection that he needed to test and because he could not get at it he wanted to run new wiring through my lounge up on the top of the lounge wall which I quite categorically do not want. I cannot imagine what a great big cable would look line running along the wall. Not to mention is it necessary!

reading that, i gave up after counting 4 Bull Sh1ts. (from the sparks, that is, not you).

as previous posts, bin both the agent and the so-called electrician.

I agree. I felt that I was being taken for a ride that is why I posted on this forum to get down to the bottom of it and of course I have lost all confidence in the Agent now and I will be looking into changing them in the near future. I have got a "sparky" going in who was recommended by one of you chaps and as I said the original electrician who put in the underfloor heating is going to put in the "isolator" and trunk the grey wiring.

Just put some paper over the names.

It is in Pfd form at the moment. I am trying to upload to the computer as electrics went last night along with my tower so am just sorting out the lap top and the printen and the I can upload my copy with names blocked out.

I will get that done as soon as I can.

You are all lovely xx

I have managed at last to upload the report from the original electrician. It took a while because my electrics here kept tripping and the computer stopped working, but I have managed to sort it out using my lap top!

I would be interested in your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_20170924_0001ELECTRICIANS.pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I'll kick it off... how can he make the statement "Inconsistent resistance values for ring final circuits" when he doesn't appear to have actually tested/recorded them?

Given it's a studio flat, are there too many points of utilisation for him to count and record?

It's unlikely you'll get identical results for the various insulation resistance tests as he has recorded, unless you max your meter out (so I very often write >999 in all IR test results).

Max disconnection time for the shower circuit... it's a final circuit so it's max disconnect time should be 0.4s, not 5.

Can't see what's wrong with the fusing of the under floor heating... the breaker is 16A and it's wired in 2.5mm... nothing wrong with that. And at the other end I wouldn't expect anything else, just a connection to the under floor heating controller.

The rest of it, difficult to say without seeing the installation, but I stand by what I've said already... he's a chancer, trying to extract as much money from you as possible and I suspect he's in cahoots with the agent. Ditch them both.

I'll kick it off... how can he make the statement "Inconsistent resistance values for ring final circuits" when he doesn't appear to have actually tested/recorded them?

Given it's a studio flat, are there too many points of utilisation for him to count and record?

It's unlikely you'll get identical results for the various insulation resistance tests as he has recorded, unless you max your meter out (so I very often write >999 in all IR test results).

Max disconnection time for the shower circuit... it's a final circuit so it's max disconnect time should be 0.4s, not 5.

Can't see what's wrong with the fusing of the under floor heating... the breaker is 16A and it's wired in 2.5mm... nothing wrong with that. And at the other end I wouldn't expect anything else, just a connection to the under floor heating controller.

The rest of it, difficult to say without seeing the installation, but I stand by what I've said already... he's a chancer, trying to extract as much money from you as possible and I suspect he's in cahoots with the agent. Ditch them both.
Rather than spending time writing it all out again, I will just say I agree with everything SparkyChick has said.

Well that is what I thought. I had my suspicions especially when his response that they - meaning the Agents - "just" take the money out of the rent. With the emphasis on "Just"! That made me sit up and think.

Thank you for taking the time to read the report. I have some one going in to look at the electrics for me, next week hopefully! Someone on here gave me the details of an electrician near to me, so that is a relief.

I also think that the Agents are dodgy as there have been a few things on a smaller scale that I have questioned and then the strange answers to questions I have put to them which you all kindly told me to ask!

Such as not being able to test the cable and then when I questioned that on what you have said they then come back to me and said it was the connection that he couldn't test etc etc etc!!

Last edited:
Well that is what I thought. I had my suspicions especially when his response that they - meaning the Agents - "just" take the money out of the rent. With the emphasis on "Just"! That made me sit up and think.

Thank you for taking the time to read the report. I have some one going in to look at the electrics for me, next week hopefully! Someone on here gave me the details of an electrician near to me, so that is a relief.

I also think that the Agents are dodgy as there have been a few things on a smaller scale that I have questioned and then the strange answers to questions I have put to them which you all kindly told me to ask!

Such as not being able to test the cable and then when I questioned that on what you have said they then come back to me and said it was the connection that he couldn't test etc etc etc!!
Rock on surreygirl

Reply to Am I being taken for a ride? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net