Discuss Am I being taken for a ride? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It wasn't clear whether that was what the "electrician" would charge £80 or whether the agent would charge that... if the later... how much is the guy doing the inspection going to make?

£80 for an estate agents EICR seems to the "norm" around here. I guy called Jamie seems to do all the estate agents around here. (source: a couple of estate agents who told me we were trying it on with our price!)

£80 for an estate agents EICR seems to the "norm" around here. I guy called Jamie seems to do all the estate agents around here. (source: a couple of estate agents who told me we were trying it on with our price!)
For that he probably spends an hour - does a few tests, has a walk around, a cup of tea and fills out the forms. Oh look - it's satisfactory !

Well the Agent charged me 240 pounds for the test which failed.

However I managed to get hold of he original electrician who fitted the underfloor heating and also issued a safety certificate and he is at least going to sort the problem out with the lack of an isolation point and lack of trunking for the wires! and also an electrician recommended by someone on this site is going to look at the cable that he cannot test!

And how long was the "electrician" there?

Less then an hour as I was there at the same time. It is only a studio so not much to test and as for checking the cable that runs behind the wall I didnt see him take out any box to see the cable or even test the economy 7 it is too far up and needs a step ladder to get to it and he certainly didnt take out the main fuse box in the kitchen. he did note though that the underfloor heating did not have an isolation point which was useful and so the electrician who fitted the underfloor heating is going to put one in and also trunk the grey wires. He knew it was a rental property. He also gave me a safety certificate for his work and all the electrics.

he might just as well have sat in his van and made it up. n EICR in less that 1 hour? bloody joke, and £240 is a complete rip-off for the time he was ther.

That is what I thought but he come through the Agents and when I questioned his suggestions about the cable - from what you guys had told me when he came around again the Agent came along too and told me that no on had every complained about him before! - However 1,600 pounds to run a cable that he was unable to check due to it having a connection seemed on the high side to say the least and that is even if there is a connection to be tested. Because on here you told me he should be able to test the cable the Agent then came back to me and said it was the connection that he couldnt test but that is if there is a connection! and anyway going on the length of the 3 meter rule the connection should only be about 2 feet away so I do not see how he could could no test it and as I said he certainly didnt test the cable whilst I was there.

Anyway a lovely person on this site has recommended a "spark" to me so he is on the case!!

Less then an hour as I was there at the same time. It is only a studio so not much to test and as for checking the cable that runs behind the wall I didnt see him take out any box to see the cable or even test the economy 7 it is too far up and needs a step ladder to get to it and he certainly didnt take out the main fuse box in the kitchen. he did note though that the underfloor heating did not have an isolation point which was useful and so the electrician who fitted the underfloor heating is going to put one in and also trunk the grey wires. He knew it was a rental property. He also gave me a safety certificate for his work and all the electrics.
Ditch the electrician and also the letting agent, that's ridiculous.
1 hour, no steps, I can't understand what he means regarding the cable behind the wall and he did not go to the consumer unit if I understand correctly.

Ditch the electrician and also the letting agent, that's ridiculous.
1 hour, no steps, I can't understand what he means regarding the cable behind the wall and he did not go to the consumer unit if I understand correctly.

He did go to the consumer unit with me because he needed to know where it was and he showed me where the cable would run from but as it is directly behind my lounge/studio wall and the wiring runs directly in a straight line to the economy 7 main fuse box in the lounge and at the top of the cupboard there would be about 11 feet or wiring because my consumer unit, which is about 2 ft along the outside wall, so that takes two feet of off the 12 ft to the kitchen - if you follow my drift - so any connection either end - and it is probably the kitchen end -would only be about 26 inches from either the main meter or the fuse box in the kitchen and as he intends to remove the one in the kitchen there would be a great big hole so I do not know why he would be unable to test the connection. That is, if there is one! And the same for the economy 7 main fuse box in the lounge. If he removes that he could test the connection. Testing the connection is why he has said he needs to put in a new cable. Testing the connection is what came out after a lot of prompting from me from what you guys told me to ask!

But at no time did he test the cable running from the main meter to the flats main fuse box in the kitchen!

Also I agree about ditching the Agent because when I got there all the work which was supposed to have been carried out like a new shower and a cooker hood had not been done and that was supposed to have been done months go and also this fiasco with the electrician.

Last edited:
Sorry SG, I can't understand why he needs to re run the economy 7 cable (if that's what you are saying)
Did he take the cover of the consummer unit? did he take any sockets or switches off the wall or inspect any of the lights?

Sorry SG, I can't understand why he needs to re run the economy 7 cable (if that's what you are saying)
Did he take the cover of the consummer unit? did he take any sockets or switches off the wall or inspect any of the lights?

Well in his report he says "upgrade of eco 7 DB"

He could not really test that as he could reach it you need a step ladder as it is right up the top of the wall and in a cupboard.

The further down the report he says

Investigation of supply wiring and condition of main isolator. This is where he said he could not test the main wiring, but then when one of you chaps said he must have the equipment to be able to test it, his reply was that he needs to test the connection, he said there was a 3 meter rule and that the join would be too far in for him to be able to test! and that it was the connection that he needed to test and because he could not get at it he wanted to run new wiring through my lounge up on the top of the lounge wall which I quite categorically do not want. I cannot imagine what a great big cable would look line running along the wall. Not to mention is it necessary!

He looked at the fuses and told me the underfloor heating had the wrong fuses in and so switched them off and told me that the tenant must not use the underfloor heating until it had all been updated.

Well in his report he says "upgrade of eco 7 DB"

He could not really test that as he could reach it you need a step ladder as it is right up the top of the wall and in a cupboard.
You need a lot of equipment to undertake a PIR, steps is just one. you cannot undertake an inspection in most cases, including this case, without a pair. Also, if he could not access the DB how can he say it needs replacing?

Investigation of supply wiring and condition of main isolator. This is where he said he could not test the main wiring, but then when one of you chaps said he must have the equipment to be able to test it, his reply was that he needs to test the connection, he said there was a 3 meter rule and that the join would be too far in for him to be able to test! and that it was the connection that he needed to test and because he could not get at it he wanted to run new wiring through my lounge up on the top of the lounge wall which I quite categorically do not want. I cannot imagine what a great big cable would look line running along the wall. Not to mention is it necessary!

Please do not let him or anyone for that matter run a cable through your lounge. Unless I'm totally misundersting this, he's having a laugh.

I know you've been asked before but could you not scan and post the report?

reading that, i gave up after counting 4 Bull Sh1ts. (from the sparks, that is, not you).

as previous posts, bin both the agent and the so-called electrician.

You need a lot of equipment to undertake a PIR, steps is just one. you cannot undertake an inspection in most cases, including this case, without a pair. Also, if he could not access the DB how can he say it needs replacing?

Please do not let him or anyone for that matter run a cable through your lounge. Unless I'm totally misundersting this, he's having a laugh.

I know you've been asked before but could you not scan and post the report?

Yes I am going to upload his report. Just got to set the printer up because - do not laugh - poetic justice or something!- when I turned on the computer when I got home last night the electrics went and I can only use a few sockets without it tripping! so need an electrician here now. Am just about to sort out the printer so will upload when I get it up and running.

Reply to Am I being taken for a ride? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net