Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Am i entitled to call myself a sparky? in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. hillen1986

hillen1986 EF Member

Ok , so i completed 2365 level 3, and also 17th edition. At my place of work , I'm the go to guy, as well as another very experienced electrician, to do the electrical work. They don't seem to have a problem with me not having the nvq completed ( maybe naive) . I've had some issues with a new contract, and am seeking more pay. but am basing it on my quals that i already have, do i have a ground to fight for better pay?

4 years experience and 2365 level 3, i also have engineering maintenance level 2 nvq, IOSH, HACCP , 17th edition. Surely with these quals i can insist on this?

This is an engineering environment predominantly, but of course electrical work needs doing too.

2. LankyWill

LankyWill Guest

I would say no if im honest, until you have completed the NVQ and Am2 you cant deem yourself an Electrician. I can swap a washer on a tap but i cant call myself a plumber. If im really honest your not really an Electrician until you have been qualified for a few years and have experienced a large variety of the different work areas, i.e. Domestic, Commercial and Industrial.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Forum Mentor

You can call yourself whatever you want lol.....the term "Electrician" is not a protected one. However, the JIB will grade people as Electricians , Approved etc and firms recognise this as it's the only reasonable system we have. They want NVQ3 for you as you have a later qual though..... old school can grade with 236 2360 or whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  4. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

No

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. hillen1986

hillen1986 EF Member

Thanks for the reply

6. Joshua

Joshua |Ω|#e5| Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Steel Electrical Contractors
    Why didn't you do the NVQ? If you're working as an Electrician and you think you're an electrician then it'll be easy enough.
    I'm fully qualified with 7 years experience and I don't truly feel like I'm done learning yet.

7. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

I have never done am AM2 so am I not an electrician.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Joshua

Joshua |Ω|#e5| Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Steel Electrical Contractors
    I never did the AM2 either, am I also not an electrician? My whole world just fell apart :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

You and I are sinking, everything we thought we had has gone.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

Sorry but your lives have been lies.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Massive1

Massive1 Trainee Access

Call yourself what you want mate. People can go on a 4 week course join a CPS scheme and call themselves an electrician.

12. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

I have not done the AM2 nor have a JIB card....

13. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

You must be a designer then.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

'Mouse Pusher' please....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

What issues do you have with the new contract?
    If they are going you the work of an 'electrician' but not the pay then ask them why.

• Like Like x 1