Discuss AM2 - Sparky facts errors? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hectorhill

Hi All

Revising for my up and coming AM2 exam. I have been using the sparky facts site as my kind of bible. When I have been flicking through this forum though some people have commented that there are plenty of errors on the sparky facts website. Has anybody else heard this & if so what are the errors.

Also know its a long shot but…..

any one know anywhere I can get my hand on (or at least view) a copy of the job description they give out when you begin the AM2?

any help much appreciated !

thanks

You can download a PDF am2 guide of the web it was even on here once tells you everything you need to know about doing your am2

thanks for the PDF Sintra. you are a good bloke !!

I think that one is from 2001 though so I am thinking it is part of the old AM2 test (from what little I know)

There's not much info on the AM2 & it's meant to be that way. You are to arrive on the day & be given wiring diagrams & instructions. You will wire an s plan heating system, motor, rfc, etc; You will work with swa, sy, fp200, data cable, etc; You will also be pulled off your install to do fault finding & an OL exam. After the installation you will test it.
I worried myself sick over the exam which was really unnecessary. The only advice i could give is, just remain calm follow the wiring diagrams which are straight forward. The time will fly, so use it wisely. Remember to double over your conductors where possible, as this will be checked.

There's not much info on the AM2 & it's meant to be that way. You are to arrive on the day & be given wiring diagrams & instructions. You will wire an s plan heating system, motor, rfc, etc; You will work with swa, sy, fp200, data cable, etc; You will also be pulled off your install to do fault finding & an OL exam. After the installation you will test it.
I worried myself sick over the exam which was really unnecessary. The only advice i could give is, just remain calm follow the wiring diagrams which are straight forward. The time will fly, so use it wisely. Remember to double over your conductors where possible, as this will be checked.

Don't have a scooby about s plan y plan etc. It is suprising how many people don't follow panel drawings etc

http://www.*******************/_media/Two-way-and-intermediate-lighting.png

has anyone any idea if the 2 way and intermediate lighting listed on sparky facts is the conversion method? Spent ages learning it but just been on my am2 preparation day and they are saying it's got to be wired using the conversion method. I'm looking at it and it just doesn't some how look the same. All the provided was a really basic wiring diagram which is impossible to imagine as real wires and switches. I just can't get my head round it

The diagram that the forum will not let you link to is the conversion method wiring also known as three wire intermediate (or two way) switching.
This is my diagram of two way switching (using different core colours for the connections than that diagram) that may show it in relation to switches better, perhaps.
2way 3 wire lighting.jpg

Trying to work out the path of the current is not easy as it goes back and forth all over, but a 3 core cable between switches (with the intermediate switch having a through link on one core) and switched line and permanent line connected to L1 and L2 of one of the switches is the easiest way to figure it.

Cheers for the response. So if I follow what they detail in sparky facts I will definitely not be marked down? (I get the circuit on sparky facts and feel comfortable with it but college just gave me a circuit diagram yesterday that totally threw me)

It is difficult to say what you have been asked to do without actually seeing it, if you could scan the wiring diagram to the forum or draw it out and post then assessment would be easier.

In general the conversion method is using twin and earth and 3 core and earth cables as shown in sparky facts to wire a three way light switching arrangement.
This is an acceptable method for AM2 so long as that is what you have been asked to do.
If you have been given a different cable type to use then the layout may be different.

That is exactly the same as the wiring in sparky facts except that the AM2 version is not using a three plate connection it is wiring the cabling direct to the switch/light fitting, in the same way that I have drawn my diagram.
As it is a very simple diagram they have not taken the neutral to the switch but direct to the fitting and they have not shown the cable going through the intermediate switch but bypassing it.
I would normally expect that method to employ singles in conduit to get the neutral and switched line to the fitting but if you have been given a wiring method then use the given method and if twin and earth, take the neutral to the first switch as well.

Reply to AM2 - Sparky facts errors? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net