Discuss Another sad reason Part P just doesnt work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recently an NICEIC inspector told me that although GN3 states 100% testing and 10% sampling, the percentage is what ever the customer is prepared to pay for and agree to as long as you state it on the report.

i relly hope that that was a joke (though i fear the worst). its about engineering judgement, and i'm not sure GN3 states those terms in the latest vversion but i havent got it to hand. The point to this case was that BC believed that their appointed contractor was inspecting and testing 100% of newly installed circuits etc for Part P, but it would seem for this job at least, this contractor thought 30% was good enough. £250 was an easy 1.5 hrs work!! whats worse is they still didnt get it right!

Personally, I would never do less than 100% testing on any EICR but unfortunately what i said about the inspector is true. Afterall NIC developed the worthless Visual inspection report

Forgive me, but i havent read the whole thread..

However....

If there is building control involved, it is THEIR responsibility to ensure compliance however they see fit.

Have a read of sec 1.24 Part P.

you should test 100% of the install on a PIR....you save time over an initial verification by doing an R1 R2 and a Zs at the furthest point on a radial as for ring finals....well it dont take long to whip round them....its on sampling where you start at 10%...but i tend to decide within a few minutes of being in that property just where on the percentage scale i`m gonna start....like some places just dont `feelright`...and you know what....they usually arn`t....

Just checked the NIC book on periodic inspections and their three star inspection service states '30% inspection, testing and additional items' additional items include earth continuity of all accessable exposed-extraneous conductive parts, PAT testing, fixed equipment, load measurement, terminal temperatures and produce a circuit chart. Without the additionals only 20% is required. However, as you are aware if you find non compliances these percentages need to be increased.

In my opinion stick to 100% that way the only comebacks are reworks

I was called to a house that just had a PIR done and found 4 faulty single sockets the tenant reported this to the "inspector" and when I contacted the letting agent I was told only 10% of the sockets were tested. So I said well 2 in the livingroom were u/s and the one in the childs bedroom had a neutral missing and the last one was right next to the DB ????? Mind its not that bad I got the job to change them plus I sent the Zs test results for all of the flats sockets and when they said that must have taken time I said no actually 15 minutes tops

you should test 100% of the install on a PIR....you save time over an initial verification by doing an R1 R2 and a Zs at the furthest point on a radial as for ring finals....well it dont take long to whip round them....its on sampling where you start at 10%...but i tend to decide within a few minutes of being in that property just where on the percentage scale i`m gonna start....like some places just dont `feelright`...and you know what....they usually arn`t....

Totally agree, after a short conversation with the customer and removal of a few faceplates you get a feeling for the quality

And When people are offering to do a full EICR for £100 and are gone after 1 hour you know something funny is going on,whats your name luv,tick box,tick tick,ok there you go thats £100 please kerching.

Just checked the NIC book on periodic inspections and their three star inspection service states '30% inspection, testing and additional items' additional items include earth continuity of all accessable exposed-extraneous conductive parts, PAT testing, fixed equipment, load measurement, terminal temperatures and produce a circuit chart. Without the additionals only 20% is required. However, as you are aware if you find non compliances these percentages need to be increased.

In my opinion stick to 100% that way the only comebacks are reworks
whats PAT testing got to do with the fixed wiring/install?

I was called to a house that just had a PIR done and found 4 faulty single sockets the tenant reported this to the "inspector" and when I contacted the letting agent I was told only 10% of the sockets were tested. So I said well 2 in the livingroom were u/s and the one in the childs bedroom had a neutral missing and the last one was right next to the DB ????? Mind its not that bad I got the job to change them plus I sent the Zs test results for all of the flats sockets and when they said that must have taken time I said no actually 15 minutes tops
well its your dead tests that drink up the time old...lol...

Nothing really but i suppose customers may expect them to be included although the NIC state 'these will be listed seperately'
customers will only expect em to be included if your foolish enough to tell em it is.....so you dont...if they have owt that needs pat testing...it should be on top....when you go into a property on a PIR you dont need to be distracted by old Mrs Biddle`s ropey iron..or kettle or whatever...PIRs are for FIXED WIRING/INSTALLATION and thats it....

Just noticed that eventhough its says overall 30% testing it does highlight that all accessable socket outlets must be tested for polarity and Zs

customers will only expect em to be included if your foolish enough to tell em it is.....so you dont...if they have owt that needs pat testing...it should be on top....when you go into a property on a PIR you dont need to be distracted by old Mrs Biddle`s ropey iron..or kettle or whatever...PIRs are for FIXED WIRING/INSTALLATION and thats it....

Just add an exception to the extent of the report. The usual, the report doesn't cover fire detection, intruder alarms etc...

Just add an exception to the extent of the report. The usual, the report doesn't cover fire detection, intruder alarms etc...
so on a PIR...would you not be testing the circuit feedins smoke/heat alarms?...look i`l tell you something vito.....we often find the CPC being used as the link wire on mains fed linked smokes/heats....so would you code that?...and if so what code would you give it....come on, this is PIRs....

so on a PIR...would you not be testing the circuit feedins smoke/heat alarms?...look i`l tell you something vito.....we often find the CPC being used as the link wire on mains fed linked smokes/heats....so would you code that?...and if so what code would you give it....come on, this is PIRs....

Sorry, it goes without saying all of the electrical circuits where accessable. i was referring to functionality and fire alarms.

Reply to Another sad reason Part P just doesnt work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net