Discuss Anyone any idea what these symbols mean? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Raptor0014

Esteemed
Reaction score
As per title. Does anyone know what this symbol means? It’s on a IP rated outdoor light and there’s nothing in the instructions to say what it means.

Customer asked to me to take a look at a light she intends to by 10 of for her garden. This symbol was on it and I’ve never seen it before.

IMG_2221.jpeg

I sleep like a log once the heat of the day is gone. not been much else to do all week. lightning fried my router and house phones. mobile is in repair shop for new screen, lost back-up phone, had a £160 bill to get drains unblocked. beer fund sadly depleted. still not walking right since hip op, but improving slowly. still, there's many younger men in a worse state, so can't grumble.

I sleep like a log once the heat of the day is gone. not been much else to do all week. lightning fried my router and house phones.
That's a bummer. At one time the BT master socket might have had an earth wire so the SPD would drop common mode surges to earth, but not seen that for ages. Fine if its a old fashioned analogue phone only connected the the phone line, but with most stuff now being powered that lack of common-mode protection means it has to deal with several kV internally.

They could be properly engineered to do so, but that would rob the shareholders of precious pennies on every sale.
mobile is in repair shop for new screen, lost back-up phone, had a £160 bill to get drains unblocked. beer fund sadly depleted. still not walking right since hip op, but improving slowly. still, there's many younger men in a worse state, so can't grumble.
Indeed, the loss of beer money is sad but nothing compared to what some folks have to face as you say.

From this site (my emphasis):

In more recent years NTE5 or CTE5 Lineboxes are fitted in place of master sockets, these have a removable (lower half) panel which house the terminals to connect wiring to the secondary sockets. § Terminal pins 1 and 6 may be absent on some versions of C/NTE5, but these connections are not normally used anyway. The NTE5 tends to have the same components inside as a master LJU, however later NTE5 sockets differ by not having a surge arrestor, have only pins 2, 3, 4 & 5 or 2, 3 & 5 connected, they also have a small coil in series with the ‘bell wire’ on pin 3 which acts as a filter.

So the bar-stewards don't even try any more!

Reply to Anyone any idea what these symbols mean? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net