Discuss Anyone drive a pickup rather than a van? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

When I win the Euro Millions I'll be getting a Range Rover - I reckon they're fab. Meantime I've got an Izuzu Dmax and it's fun. It has 6 ton train capacity, can carry 1 ton in the back or can tow 3.5 ton. I get 40mpg cruise and life time AV 35. It weighs in at 2 ton, has 5 yr warranty, and drives like an old land rover 110 :( . Tough as an old boot, without being old or a boot. I fit stuff in the back behind the suicide doors, but the tray isn't any good for valuables, unless they weigh lots.

image.jpeg

I had a Mitsubishi L200 Double Cab (older style) with a Snugtop. Large enough for work and family.
Great workhorse. Got me anywhere. Never let me down.
Slide1.jpg

I took this out for test drive last week, ssangyong korando sports nice pickup and prices starting at £14,210 for the base model+VAT with 5 year warranty nice and cheap, the top model is about £18,000 ish with heated front seats and leather seats , just not to show about the the name

How do you pick up owners manage with lengthy items such as conduit, trunking, ladders etc ? The roof racks look a little short, or are they ?

How do you pick up owners manage with lengthy items such as conduit, trunking, ladders etc ? The roof racks look a little short, or are they ?
Hi Andy - mine has an Al rack between cab and tray. Things get strapped together and go on the slope to the tailgate 6ft away. Works ok, but not as easy as a van. OTOH if you need a bulk bag of gravel it is easier than a van. I got mine to tow with and also because it looks like a toy I had :)

Just to stick in my 2 p's worth... Have had a Ford Ranger 'super' cab for last 5 yrs was great until couple weeks ago when head gasket failed...185 thousand tho'...had pipe tube and ladder rack on top of truckman top and was great for the variety of work I do, proved itself over the years getting to remote pumpsets on farms and also breezed some of the railway sites I visit. The suicide doors were brilliant for access to shelf behind front seats where I could keep power tools, test kit etc and the buck was plenty big enough for less valuable stuff and materials etc. I have replaced it temporarily with a Pug Partner (easier to park and lower load height are the only real advantages and the cons are legion..) needless to say am on the lookout for a newer Ranger supercab or possibly equivalent Navara. Like the look of the D-max but the latest supercab is out of my price range...

I've had my 2.2 manual Ranger for a year now. 36k miles, Pegasus top, so much more useable than a Snugtop. Sliding loadbed and opening windows in hardtop make it really easy to access everything. At the weekend remove seat covers and deep floormats and it becomes a very comfortable family vehicle. Haven't quite managed to get over 30mpg average yet, though I do drive off road quite a bit. P2210175.jpg.JPG P2210177.JPG

A few years back I went over to a pick up thinking it would be better than a van. You can't carry as much imho and as others have said most leak or aren't water tight. If you have rear seats in it you can't claim 100% to tax as hmrc will argue you could use it for social use. Ultimately I crashed it and it rolled 4 times over. The rear canopy burst off and I lost most of my tools. Whilst it saved my life it was a good opportunity to go back to a van.

A word of warning for anyone looking at pickups direct or vanarama. We leased another pickup from this company. The Truckman back leaked like a sieve from day 1 and they did nothing about it. The whole compliant rumbled on for 4 years and ultimately they had to pay us huge amounts of compensation because the financial ombudsman forced them too.

Having tried both I feel a van works better for me for work, on a day to day basis.

A few years back I went over to a pick up thinking it would be better than a van. You can't carry as much imho and as others have said most leak or aren't water tight. If you have rear seats in it you can't claim 100% to tax as hmrc will argue you could use it for social use. Ultimately I crashed it and it rolled 4 times over. The rear canopy burst off and I lost most of my tools. Whilst it saved my life it was a good opportunity to go back to a van.

A word of warning for anyone looking at pickups direct or vanarama. We leased another pickup from this company. The Truckman back leaked like a sieve from day 1 and they did nothing about it. The whole compliant rumbled on for 4 years and ultimately they had to pay us huge amounts of compensation because the financial ombudsman forced them too.

Having tried both I feel a van works better for me for work, on a day to day basis.
I looked at vanarama, wasn't happy with their prices. Monthly rentals are cheaper, but initial rental is huge. Ford was actually slightly cheaper directly over all

Reply to Anyone drive a pickup rather than a van? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net