Discuss anyone looking for a new job? Proof reader needed asap in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

"In one case all the answers were wrong to a multiple-choice question in a biology AS-level paper set by Edexcel."

English Proofreading Rules

01: Don't be redundant, don't use more words than necessary, it's highly superfluous and completely and utterly over the top.

02: Be more or less specific. In a round-about way at the end of the day it’s better to get straight to the point than to beat around the bush.

03: Understatement is the best possible method of achieving amazing results.

04: Exaggeration is one hundred billion times worse than understatement.

05: One-word sentences? Eliminate. Immediately. Always.

06: Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake, as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

07: The passive voice is to be avoided.

08: Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.

09: Even if a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.

10: Who needs rhetorical questions?

11: Avoid alliteration. Always.

12: Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.

13: Avoid cliches like the plague. They're old hat.

14: Employ the vernacular.

15: Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.

16: Parenthetical remarks however relevant are unnecessary and avoidable.

17: It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.

18: Contractions aren't necessary. They’re a waste of time.

19: Foreign words and phrases are not apropos, comprehendes?

20: One should never generalize.

22: Eliminate quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said: "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."

23: Comparisons are as bad as cliches.

24: Correct speling is essentail.

25: Never use no double negatives.

26: No to sentence fragments.

27: It’s important that verbs is in agreement with their subjects.

28: Only use apostophe’s when they are needed.

29: Never start sentences with a conjunction and always cheque you’re homonym use.

30: Don’t overuse exclamations!!!!!

And finally, always proofread your work. Don’t any words out.

Am I good enough?????????? :D

Last edited:
Exam board watchdog investigates question paper errors | Education | guardian.co.uk

poor sods will have been stressed enough as it was but can you imagine trying to get your head round a multiple choice paper where every answer is wrong?? the mind boggles, I reckon some heads will roll for this little lot

Believe it or not Phil mate, most people are capable of speed reading though a document if they have a good knowledge of the subject matter - like when you re-read a novel or something. The subconscious mind looks to pick out key words and phases.

Reply to anyone looking for a new job? Proof reader needed asap in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net