Discuss Anyone walked off a job before or fallen out with a builder? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Working on a full rewire at the moment that's been dragging on for some time now. I got the job through a builder I know and it's the second job I've done for him. He's turning out to be a complete -----.

He spends a lot of time telling other trades how to do their jobs and thinks he knows it all when obviously he knows ---- all about anything. I got a glimpse of it on the first job (tried to make me chase out a wall covered in asbestos) but this sounded like a good a job and I needed the money at the time. He speaks to me like he thinks I'm some sort of mug who's reliant on his money and owes him something and it's doing my head in. One of the reasons I work for myself is so I would never have to work for pricks like this again.

Anyone ever had something similar and walked off a job before?

I'm doing the first fix next week and if he does my head in I think I'm just going to walk off and leave it. The only thing is, the client has paid half of my fee up front so if i do walk off he's going to ask for some money back. So far I've ripped out all the existing cable, relocated and installed a new consumer unit with temporary power and bought all the first fix materials. Probably about 3-4 days of work so as far as I'm concerned that payment has covered me up until now and the last 2 payments will cover the first fix and second fix

not worth the aggro. if the builder and client fall out at all, you'll be the loser.

Builders can be a nightmare , I did a small extension for a builder just before the first covid lockdown and they refused to pay my last stage payment as the job hadn't gone well for them and they were trying to cut some losses.
I explained the issues weren't my fault and my price was a fair price and I did the job to a very good standard.
I think I ended up getting £150 of the remaining £450 balance on the job.
But as covid was kicking off I couldn't be bothered to fight them over it.

I am not a big fan of working for builders or other trades like plumbers who get you in to do wiring for them on new kitchens and bathrooms. They can be a real pain when it comes to getting paid...

I won't work directly for Builders now unless I know them really well and have done for years. They can be a royal pain in the arse, I worked for one similar to the situation the op describes. I finished that job and struggled to get paid the full amount so never worked for him again after that!
I would try and finish the job if you can stick it, just for the customers sake more than anything, especially if they have already made part payment!
After that I would work direct for the customer, so if they fall out with the builder you will still be ok and not tarred with the same brush and will pay you separately. Also stops the builder making money off you by overcharging for your labour!

I'm doing the first fix next week and if he does my head in I think I'm just going to walk off and leave it. The only thing is, the client has paid half of my fee up front so if i do walk off he's going to ask for some money back. So far I've ripped out all the existing cable, relocated and installed a new consumer unit with temporary power and bought all the first fix materials. Probably about 3-4 days of work so as far as I'm concerned that payment has covered me up until now and the last 2 payments will cover the first fix and second fix

He has not started it yet, anyway this will not end good.

Not only started, but accepted 50% payment. I'm fairly certain that the builder will have a very different view about what works that part payment covers. Walking away could result in all sorts of hassle that far outweigh biting one's lip for a couple of weeks.

Reply to Anyone walked off a job before or fallen out with a builder? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net