Discuss app controlled sockets/switches in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Wayne Gollop

Does anyone have any recommendation on app controlled plug in sockets which can also control light switches. This is for a customer which wants to switch on lamps via his iPhone and wanted to know if he can control other ceiling lights with the same app. Obviously I would have to change the light switches but as always he doesn't want to spend a lot!!

Just googled " control lighting from iphone"'loads of stuff out there, now show the customer the options and ask for what they want within there budget.

What's wrong with lightwave skelton?

Feels very cheap IMHO, very limited use, can't integrate with other control systems, expensive to sort out when a lamp fails.

Fine for what the OP wants it for but that's about it really.

It does what it says on the tin; A DIY solution to home automation.

Thanks for the replies.
he wants the plug in sockets so he can move them about, or his wife can!
What would you use Skelton?
I don't want to use something which will play up in the future. Something simply.

I'd recommend the customer buys the LightwaveRF plug in dimmable sockets. The light switches can just be glue tacked to the wall, the main lamps just need replacing.

It's not really an electricians job really. If the customer wanted true and expandable lighting automation I'd be recommending I fitted Lutron, but that'd cost 'em! :D

Feels very cheap IMHO, very limited use, can't integrate with other control systems, expensive to sort out when a lamp fails.

Fine for what the OP wants it for but that's about it really.

It does what it says on the tin; A DIY solution to home automation.
But it saves having to rewire to integrate it to an existing installation, not sure what you mean by expensive to sort out when a lamp fails? I think its a fantastic sollution for someone who wants low cost automation, granted its mainly for lighting and can't be integrated with A/V or other systems but for the money its a sound choice! I have bits of it at my place to control lighting and i think its great! If i was rewiring my house or building a new place i would want something better though!

Yeah I second that.
I just want to point him it the right direction.
He has given me a fair bit of work and passed my number on to his friends in which iv had work from.

But it saves having to rewire to integrate it to an existing installation

My point entirely! Puts automaters like myself out of a job when any Tom, Dick or Harry can just whack it in! lol. Not that I'm biased or anything :D

I'm not particulary dissing the stuff, I'd even recommend it to a customer who doesn't want to spend the money on having the job done properly as it's a great DIY solution, but I wouldn't be seen dead installing the stuff!

I just want to point him it the right direction.

I did say in my initial response that LightwaveRF would be the product to go for. I wasn't trying to to sway you from recommending it, more making the point that it isn't really something you can install and charge money for unless you're being cheeky! lol

My point entirely! Puts automaters like myself out of a job when any Tom, Dick or Harry can just whack it in! lol. Not that I'm biased or anything :D

I'm not particulary dissing the stuff, I'd even recommend it to a customer who doesn't want to spend the money on having the job done properly as it's a great DIY solution, but I wouldn't be seen dead installing the stuff!

I did say in my initial response that LightwaveRF would be the product to go for. I wasn't trying to to sway you from recommending it, more making the point that it isn't really something you can install and charge money for unless you're being cheeky! lol
Well i make good money from installing it for people that don't want to spend £1000's but equally make good money from higher end systems like loxone,i don't think its the least bit cheeky charging to install it, its no different to going through a house changing all the switches and sockets! Would you not charge for doing that?

Well i make good money from installing it for people that don't want to spend £1000's but equally make good money from higher end systems like loxone,i don't think its the least bit cheeky charging to install it, its no different to going through a house changing all the switches and sockets! Would you not charge for doing that?

If you can get away with charging for it then good for you, personally I only recommend it as a DIY solution as it is made for the customer to be able to do it themselves. Changing sockets and switches actually involves wiring, basic Lightwave doesn't.

I'm not having a pop at you mate.

If you can get away with charging for it then good for you, personally I only recommend it as a DIY solution as it is made for the customer to be able to do it themselves. Changing sockets and switches actually involves wiring, basic Lightwave doesn't.

I'm not having a pop at you mate.
Why do i get the feeling we're talking about different things, i mean the lightwave sockets and switches that replace standard sockets and switches so need wiring in! i assume now that you are talking about the plug in gear?

Lightwave RF does do switches, sockets, wireless switches (handy for when the customer wants a switch on the other side of the room and doesn't want the decor ripped apart / laminate above) master controller - for example you can can set in a lounge / dining room - dinner party, movie night, couples night modes with different lighting levels and different sockets turned on. Also switches will "remember" the setting you had them set to.
They are also bringing out wireless radiator stats that interface with the rest of the system.

Only thing I don't like is the reduction in lighting levels that adding their dimmer creates (have one in the bedroom as a test bed, soft on and off, all very "cool" looking) but the amount of lost light looks more than the 10% quoted by lightwave RF.

The tech support from Lightwave is spot on though, I've called their trade acct manager about a few things and they never seem to have any issues giving out the info I need or going and finding out.

Also the LEDHut dimmable LED bulbs seem to all be compatible with lightwave RF kit and Screwfix now stock most of the Lightwave range as do BnQ

Why do i get the feeling we're talking about different things, i mean the lightwave sockets and switches that replace standard sockets and switches so need wiring in! i assume now that you are talking about the plug in gear?

I'm talking about their basic gear. You are right, they do make retrofit sockets and switches. The basic gear is either wireless receiver lamps, blutac on the wall switches or plug in dimmer sockets for lamps. Like I said, I don't particularly like the stuff but it does serve a purpose and I would recommend it as a DIY solution to a customer, but that's it. If I was asked about the retrofit stuff I'd still recommend the plug in stuff as I can't see a point to the retrofit sockets unless you want to turn your TV on or boil the kettle whilst on holiday?? Still, if someone asked for me to install the sockets regardless of my recommendations then yeah, I guess I would, I just can't see it happening unless I actively sell it to them.

I don't wanna sound like I'm belittleing your business because I'm not, just offering my opinion on the gear that's all. I apologise if I've offended you.

There are people out there that sell Lightwave as a genuine and full on home automation product (not that I'm accusing you of being one of those people). This is something that does annoy me because it simply isn't, it's a basic product that delivers a basic solution.

I'm talking about their basic gear. You are right, they do make retrofit sockets and switches. The basic gear is either wireless receiver lamps, blutac on the wall switches or plug in dimmer sockets for lamps. Like I said, I don't particularly like the stuff but it does serve a purpose and I would recommend it as a DIY solution to a customer, but that's it. If I was asked about the retrofit stuff I'd still recommend the plug in stuff as I can't see a point to the retrofit sockets unless you want to turn your TV on or boil the kettle whilst on holiday?? Still, if someone asked for me to install the sockets regardless of my recommendations then yeah, I guess I would, I just can't see it happening unless I actively sell it to them.

I don't wanna sound like I'm belittleing your business because I'm not, just offering my opinion on the gear that's all. I apologise if I've offended you.

There are people out there that sell Lightwave as a genuine and full on home automation product (not that I'm accusing you of being one of those people). This is something that does annoy me because it simply isn't, it's a basic product that delivers a basic solution.

Well i still think its an excellent low cost sollution, the sockets i use mostly for controlling table/floor lamps but its the lighting products that are the best, you can create different moods and schedules for when the lights turn on and off.

By the way i'm not offended, I don't get offended easily! Like i said i make good money from installing the retrofit gear but i do prefer to install loxone gear, never tried lutron though maybe i'll email them for some information!

It's the best on the market for lighting control by far! Lutron set the standard for lighting automation, you simply can't compete with it's compatibility, expandability, quality, functional control, design or ease of use.

Er you can lutron is overpriced and under performing you will only really find it in residential and interior designer specced commercial applications... there are alternatives that do everything lutron do and more normally for a fraction of the cost...

Mode, Rako, iLight, Niko all have advantages even KNX can be quite good

Reply to app controlled sockets/switches in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net