Discuss Are LED bulbs better than CLF bulbs? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Recently, I have decided to switch to LED lighting instead of any other old school lighting. Our government has taken the initiative of replacing old lights with energy-efficient LED bulbs. But there is still a debate about which lighting option is better, is it LED or CLF.

Give me your thoughts and suggestions..

TL;DR
LED vs CFL
LED are definitely superior to CFL lamps, especially so now that technology has improved. No more waiting for them to reach full brightness, and you can pick a colour tenperatur that suits your needs.

Just don't expect miracles from ultra cheap LEDs lamps.

Recently, I have decided to switch to LED lighting instead of any other old school lighting. Our government has taken the initiative of replacing old lights with energy-efficient LED bulbs. But there is still a debate about which lighting option is better, is it LED or CLF.

Give me your thoughts and suggestions..

Hi, we are a manufactuer of lighting products since 2002, at the beginning, we produced CFL lamps, and then slowly introduced LED technology to produce led lighting products. In these 20 years, we supplied lighting fixtures to Jeddah airport, Riyadh airport and Dubair airports etc.

The biggest advantage of LED lamp is energy saving, long service life and diversification of product shape.

LEDs use 25% less energy than CFLs because ordinary CFLs still use some electricity to convert them into heat. Therefore, the brightness of ordinary LED lamp is only one third of the same power.

LED lamp has longer service life. The life span of qualified LED bulb can reach 10000-20000 hours, which is about five times of that of ordinary lamps. With the same energy-saving lamp, its service life is 6000-10000 hours.

LED is more environmentally friendly
Mercury is one of the essential luminescent materials for CFL energy-saving lamps. Air pollution will increase with the use of mercury in the sealed lamp. LED lights don't have this problem at all because they don't contain harmful metals. They are safe and environmentally friendly, and more in line with the concept of green environmental protection.

The anti-seismic and lightning protection performance of LED lamp should be far better than that of energy-saving bulb. The voltage instability of continuous switch on LED lamp is far less than that of energy-saving lamp. If the energy-saving lamp is frequently switched on and off, its service life can be greatly shortened

The last factor people care is price, actually now the cost of led lighting is very cheap, one led bulb only less than USD2.00/pcs, CFL bulb is similar.

I have replaced branded LED lamps in a shopping arcade 15000 hrs approx some CFL's outlasting these. Unfortunately the majority of LEDs are for landfill there is a smaller amount that are good. SONs and some halogens have outlasted LEDs many times over ....it is about quality...manufacturers want to sell you many cheap units for more profit...until that changes what you save in energy is lost in plastic waste....a green dream.

And LED lamps are dimmable (well, some are).

I've replaced almost every bulb in my house with Philips' 'Warm Glow/Dim Tone' equivalents (BC and ES fitting as required, and virtually identical globe sizes), and they are superb. They 'dim' in a natural way, becoming warmer the lower the light level. Lovely natural light when fully lit.

I have had to replace most dimmer modules with trailing-edge type, tho', to prevent mild flickering.

Reply to Are LED bulbs better than CLF bulbs? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net