Discuss Are surge protection devices fitted before or after the main switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Clearly 'tis the season to be grumpy!

How about you guys take a look at his profile and maybe go a little easier on him... it clearly states he's a trainee... just because someone doesn't have the trainee tag, doesn't mean they aren't.

@L1Jay1 , maybe consider signing up for the trainee section of the forums. You'll get a trainee tag so everyone can see you're training and you'll get access to a trainee only area which only trainees, staff and mentors can access so you can ask questions such as this without getting this kind of response.

To answer your question, they would generally be installed after the main switch. The ones in most domestic boards are installed as close to the main switch as possible, many are supplied via a circuit breaker (I've seen 32A for all the ones I've seen) but some, Hager I think, are connected straight to the main switch itself. But as @Strima says... what do the manufacturers instructions say?

Have a think about what the main switch does, and what it is for.
if you don’t know the answer, then maybe someone competent should be doing the work.
I’m simply asking the question
[automerge]1577085576[/automerge]

How about you guys take a look at his profile and maybe go a little easier on him... it clearly states he's a trainee... just because someone doesn't have the trainee tag, doesn't mean they aren't.

@L1Jay1 , maybe consider signing up for the trainee section of the forums. You'll get a trainee tag so everyone can see you're training and you'll get access to a trainee only area which only trainees, staff and mentors can access so you can ask questions such as this without getting this kind of response.

To answer your question, they would generally be installed after the main switch. The ones in most domestic boards are installed as close to the main switch as possible, many are supplied via a circuit breaker (I've seen 32A for all the ones I've seen) but some, Hager I think, are connected straight to the main switch itself. But as @Strima says... what do the manufacturers instructions say?
In the live boards the spd is before the main switch
[automerge]1577085641[/automerge]
What about putting it in the closet ?
What about putting you in the closet

Hi - normally the main switch isolates all the equipment in the board, is that what you mean? :)
Sorry I meant a LVE board , I’ve seen a LVE board with surge protection already installed in it , the SPD is before the main switch in this board , this got me confused.
[automerge]1577089291[/automerge]

Sorry I meant LVE board , not live

Reply to Are surge protection devices fitted before or after the main switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net