• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Are there any autistic electricians here? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

John Matrix

My son has recently been diagnosed with autism. obviously now we know all the signs my partner has suggested to me that I have the same quirks in my personality. This has made me think about some of the things I find difficult in my work life. For example feeling overwhelmed and stressed from time to time. Being sensitive to noise. And a few other things. I just wanted to see if anyone on the forum has autism and how it’s affected them at work as an Electrician. How it has been received by workers and bosses etc. Any feedback would be great.
Kind regards

Had a colleague who was colour blind, but not heard of an Autistic Sparky, as for feeling stressed, get that now and I'm retired, if you are concerned visit the GP for a check up, I was always tired and got wound up very quickly.
Her indoors made me visit GP, under active Thyroid diagnosed a pill a day keeps it under control, so don't be a coward get it checked out Mate sooner the better.

A lot of electricians suffer from OCD, see smiley faces in light switches, slots in screws have to point the correct way, cables should be straight and the stereo volume settings are always even numbers............. I think I have just described myself ;o))))))

Had a colleague who was colour blind, but not heard of an Autistic Sparky, as for feeling stressed, get that now and I'm retired, if you are concerned visit the GP for a check up, I was always tired and got wound up very quickly.
Her indoors made me visit GP, under active Thyroid diagnosed a pill a day keeps it under control, so don't be a coward get it checked out Mate sooner the better.
I will do that. Thanks

Everyone has a quirk - different characters makes the world go around. If we were all the same, all robots, there wouldn’t be a - ‘dodgy trade pictures for your amusement’ - thread!
And what sort of world would that be.

Everyone has a quirk - different characters makes the world go around. If we were all the same, all robots, there wouldn’t be a - ‘dodgy trade pictures for your amusement’ - thread!
And what sort of world would that be.
There is at least one Kleptomaniac on here............. ;o)))))

I have often wondered if I have elements of aspergers, and even ADHD. As others have said we probably all have bits of pieces of medical conditions. Whatever condition you have or don't have its really a matter of being able to deal with it and keep it under control, or as suggested seeking medical help as there is so much that can be done to help you whether that be medication or even therapy.

Don't be at all shy to see your GP, and please be completely upfront with how you feel to him/her. What ever you tell them will be very mild compared to what they hear from many of the patients, and unless you are 100% honest about your feelings, they won't be able to offer you the right help. As is always said, the first hurdle is recognising you might have a problem, and of course the second is seeking help.

I think if you looked hard enough you’d spot some symptoms in most people, obviously more severe and life affecting in others,
Go see your GP, if you are concerned about anything, so far I have three times "Thyroid" recently Tumour on my Pituitary gland found via a blood test likewise Prostate Cancer, don't wait, check it out, more importantly don't leave anything to late, you might look a pratt, on the other hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't tell them how much alcohol you drink each week.

Last time I went to see my GP and got asked the question, and I said well em………., he said about 21 units a week? Yes I said thats about it. He was tapping away at his computer, couldn't see the screen. Bet he put liar liar, pants on fire, we'll put a couple of noughts on the end of that then.:D

@Gary Moore, hope you kid gets some good treatment & therapies.

Mr doctor asked me how many units of alcohol do I drink when I drink........turns out “all of em” wasn’t the answer he was looking for?
As for seeing ya GP op good luck with that, I got hit by a car in February ended up in major trauma and still had to wait 2 months to see a doctor!

Mr doctor asked me how many units of alcohol do I drink when I drink........turns out “all of em” wasn’t the answer he was looking for?
As for seeing ya GP op good luck with that, I got hit by a car in February ended up in major trauma and still had to wait 2 months to see a doctor!
How you getting on with all that, on the mend?

asked same by my quack. i said 28 units. he asked what, a week, i said no, each day. jeez. 14 pints a week..... i'd die of dehydration.

Generally a lot better thanks westward got a few on going issues, things don’t heel as quick in ya 40’s as they did in me 20’s, went back to work 2 weeks ago, that was a shock to the system I can tell you!
glad to hear you're improving. heal slow in 40'S.. try it when you're past 70. things don't heal, they just wear out. :D:D:D. I'm getting thast bad now, can't do more that 10 hours a day. :D:D:D

Reply to Are there any autistic electricians here? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back