Discuss Armeg Sheet Steel Hole Saws in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Never used the Armeg ones, I have used/owned Starret, Bosch, CK and Eclipse ones, and these are pretty much of a muchness quality wise, I noticed a friend of mine had some Ebaur (screwfix) ones which are much cheaper than mine but looked ok, I will ask him how he got on with them when I next see him.

We use punches in the workshop, they're quicker and neater as Rob says, also no worries about swarf in MCB's and contactors etc. Holesaws I prefer the cheaper short preassembled short ones for the smaller sizes, saves messing around changing the mandrill around and they last a month or two and we just replace them. The sizes 40mm - 150mm are Starret.

I've been using Armeg hole saws for about a year now, pretty good. The spring will break before the teeth do and dont believe their 3.4s advertising, it is not that fast.

Problem with punches is they're not cheap, if you've got staff with sticky fingers rather use hole saws.

These are the disposable type we use in small sizes up to 32mm.

images.jpeg

I had a go with them in some steel, yeah they seem good, just wondered really, they seemed good but not sure if I would use them much that's all.

How do you go about making a hole in steel trunking that's already fixed in place then? Presumably the punch is quite a stationery tool unlike the drill bit?

You still have to drill a hole, 8-12mm dependent on the size of punch. Standard drill bits can be used. In the workshop we have a hydraulic punch. If I'm out on site I've got some that will work with my impact gun, or an Allen key.

They em are a godsend for work with stainless steel.

I had a go with them in some steel, yeah they seem good, just wondered really, they seemed good but not sure if I would use them much that's all.

How do you go about making a hole in steel trunking that's already fixed in place then? Presumably the punch is quite a stationery tool unlike the drill bit?

They are good for trunking work, I treat them as consumables and just buy a new set before starting a trunking job.

The hole punches are brilliant for trunking which is already installed as they cut down the amount of swarf etc. Look up Q max hole punches

A small bit of wood the same width as the trunking is the answer. Bridge the gap at the place you are drilling and this will stop the side of the trunking moving whilst applying pressure with the drill. If the trunking is already in place it must have live cables/wires in it so be careful. Move them out of the way of the forthcoming hole and dont forget that your drilling causes heat which the wires may be near.

For the same money as those Armeg yokes,you can get the equivalent Starrett products.

They are missing the ridiculous protrusion around the drive base,the Armeg has.

This means you can cut through holes in multiple sheets,or thicker,softer materials.

Two hair products in the shower? ...not me :jester:

Not knocking the Staret hole saws, used them for quite a while. Might try the Bosh next, any feed back on them for 20mm-25mm? Used their larger ones for down lights but that is only plaster board.

Use the for larger holes but for 20mm just use a cone cutter...good clean cut, no bad burring.

Reply to Armeg Sheet Steel Hole Saws in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net