Discuss Auto Electrical help needed please? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Michelle.Le

Good Afternoon all,

I'm sorry but this is my 1st post and i'm unfortuatley asking for some help!

I'm Michelle, i'm 29 and i'm married to Brian who is an auto mechanic. We live in Kent with our 3 cats.

here is the help we need!....

We seem to have found another 'possible' electrical fault.

I was driving it last night and for my own security i locked myself in. It wasn't until I was driving for a few minutes when other drivers started to flash me...

I looked at the dash board and the hazard warning lights were flashing, i thought at first i'd pressed it by mistake to pressed it to turn it off and they didn't turn off...

I then for some reason un-locked myself in and they went out!?!?!?!

I then this afternoon locked the car from the drivers side walked off, turned round and the hazards came back on!!

I walked back to the car to lock it from the passenger side and they went off.

For some reason you cannot lock/unloack the drivers side door so if you want to get in you have to unlock it from the passenger side.

Sorry for the long essay, I hope someone will be able to offer some advice.

My husband is a mechanic luckily but he doesn't know anything about auto electrics.

Thank you for reading, and many thanks in advance

Michelle x

Hello.

I would start off the easy route, call Ford and talk to a mechanic as the same problems crop up on the same models so you get to know them.

To give you any real guidance I would need to see a wiring diagram but the door lock is connected to the alarm probably thats why hazards flash when you touch the lock. My best guess is look inside the drivers door at the connection onto the door latch as it could well be full of water and corroding away. The second best guess is usually the battery back up sounder, this will be under the bonnet somewhere and its the thing that all of the alarm noise comes out of, again full of water, corroding, and shorting out.

Oh I forgot the most important diagnostic tool, what was the last thing that somebody fiddled with?

Hello.

I would start off the easy route, call Ford and talk to a mechanic as the same problems crop up on the same models so you get to know them.

To give you any real guidance I would need to see a wiring diagram but the door lock is connected to the alarm probably thats why hazards flash when you touch the lock. My best guess is look inside the drivers door at the connection onto the door latch as it could well be full of water and corroding away. The second best guess is usually the battery back up sounder, this will be under the bonnet somewhere and its the thing that all of the alarm noise comes out of, again full of water, corroding, and shorting out.

Oh I forgot the most important diagnostic tool, what was the last thing that somebody fiddled with?

Thank you very much for your help, advice and guidence

Fingers crossed it will be something silly, lucily we have a friend who has a dianostics computer so hopefully that will help us.

Michelle

Reply to Auto Electrical help needed please? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net