Discuss AutoCAD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Liam12

Hi Can anyone tell me how to get good at using autoCAD, anyone out there with experience of using it and any tips would be great, I'm new to this as just started a Foundation degree and want to get used to it for upcoming assignments, thanks

Liam, I self-taught myself AutoCAD many versions ago. It all depends really on what you want to use it for: 2D straight line drawings are simple enough, and you may benefit from starting with the basics of doing things like drawing simple shapes not by dragging the mouse around but actually typing x & y coordinates, learn to use the command entry (the GUI is just a cover-up on what has always been a text entry system anyway) and learn what the different types of lines do.

There's loads of good books on it, give amazon a whirl.

I used AutoCad release 12 to design flightcases when I owned a flightcase manufacturing company.

I went on a course to learn how to use it, but it's been a long time since I last used it I've forgotten how to now.

As Rockingit says, there are books available, and there are Student Editions of AutoCad available from the manufacturers (AutoDesk I think) that are fully functional & with the instruction book at a fraction of the full cost.

The things to 'not give up on' and really pay attention to are Layers - very very important, the difference between 'paper' and 'plot' spaces and in the recent versions you have 'layouts' which are also a very important thing to grasp in order to print (known as 'plotting' from the old days of pen roller plotters) your work in meaningful ways.

One of the golden rules of doing work in any CAD package is to not waste time re-drawing what someone else has already done - for example, if you were designing a house and wanted to have a picture of a sofa in the lounge, then rather than spend ages designing the sofa, you google up any of the hundreds of 'CAD Cafes', find a sofa, download it then insert it into your house.

Also to think about is the notion of scale - autocad will default to either metric or imperial units depending on what is in settings, but everything is based on units of 1 - it's up to you to decide whether that's 1 micron, 1 metre or 1 mile. Generally speaking, most people will draw in millimetres for the kind of stuff we do, so if you are importing bits of someone elses work (known as 'blocks' [more recently as 'xrefs' - Xternal REFerence]) then you have to know whether you need to multiply or divide by 10 / 100 / 1000 etc in order for it to make sense. For example, if you drew a house where 1 screen unit = 1m, and then wanted to insert a table from somewhere else into the kitchen, then that table probably got drawn with 1 screen unit = 1 mm - so you need to apply a scale factor of .001 (ie, divide by 1000).

Always amazes me the number of architects who draw to scale in CAD as they can't grasp the concept of drawing full size and then scaling the plot output

Once you have learnt how to use CAD I find that you need to use it from time to time to avoid getting rusty on it and trying to remember the commands after a long lay off can get a bit frustrating

Always amazes me the number of architects who draw to scale in CAD as they can't grasp the concept of drawing full size and then scaling the plot output

Once you have learnt how to use CAD I find that you need to use it from time to time to avoid getting rusty on it and trying to remember the commands after a long lay off can get a bit frustrating

As has happened to me.

It really didn't help when they started dicking about with the user interface and making everything so (un)friendly and looking like Microshaft Word!!

It really didn't help when they started dicking about with the user interface and making everything so (un)friendly and looking like Microshaft Word!!

Was that the 2000 version?

I only used the release 12 version, & played with a demo version of release 13, but some time after I saw the 2000 version & it looked like something Microsoft would have cobbled together.

I lost track of the versions when they switched from version numbers to 200x, but from loose memory I think R14 was 2000? v2013 doesn't fundamentally have anything more productive in it than R12, except that is has some macros and LISP routines (for things like spiral and helix modelling that you always had to manually program) now built in as shapes.

The rendering engine is better, admittedly, but I think it's robbed a lot of that from 3d Max.

I've gone through the archives and found this, knew I had it somewhere! This was my 'I'm gonna do it if it kills me' project, done for nothing except the self-education. The animation is basically a layer by layer screen plot, then zoomed/repositioned, then rendered. Every single bit of this (with the exception of the girl which I got from a cafe - which I then adapted to suit (ie, lowered her top and raised her skirt!!)) was drawn by me.

**** EDIT **** Except I can't figure out how to upload a .wmv file!!

Reply to AutoCAD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net