Discuss average wage of a sparks in the current climate in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am self employed in the north west and get all my own work. I have van tools, testers, etc, part p, ins, accountant, etc.

I generally look for £140 a day, but just earn as much as i can get away with. Some weeks £1000+ and others struggle to make anything!

+1 constant high and low

£45 for a PIR? Done properly? £200 to fit and supply a DB? This is why electricians pay rates are being cut!

Seriously?? You are mad and at these prices I would seriously doubt the quality of your work, and do you test anything.

PIR for £45.00 - for what, a bedsit?

Raving Mad!!!

I'm not even fully qualified yet and I wouldn't get out of bed for that money and I'm sorry to say that I would be very suspicious of anyone pricing jobs at such ridiculous amounts.

If it floats your boat and you're Happy and doing a good honest job then fairplay to you but I think you've possibly suffered bit of a bump on the head lol

Last edited by a moderator:
just as a sidenote, I have seen a batch of Electricians mate jobs advertised at 5 pounds 86 an hour (I take it that this is the minimum wage level?) and they used to get 9 pounds an hour - 5 YEARS ago.....everything is going down, do you know that they are looking for ECS, 2377, 17th edition plus anything else they can get, just to be classed as a sparks mate by agencies.....I have spoken to somebody in the last few weeks who was on the phone to an agency, was asked did he have this and that-they then asked him for his 17th edition to be a sparks labourer, he told them he didnt do it yet as he was on unemployment and couldnt afford it, they said "WELL YOURE NOT AN ELECTRICIANS MATE THEN ARE YOU!!!" and slammed the phone down on him....

I think there are a lot of career changers out there going from IT, Painting, Delivery driving etc that have a few pounds in the bank and some time to spare,or are maybe on paternity leave or on the sick or something, they are doing these tickets then selling themselves as Electricians mates to try to get jobs from agencies, then the agencies are expecting everybody to have all these tickets to be a Labourer, in turn the agency "sneaky chancers" are trying to charge for Electricians and use them for that on mates wage levels....driving sparks with years of experience and on the job training out of work...

self employed, sub and some private work
4 years electrical experience own tools,van.
2330 2&3,17,am2,nvq L3 & niceic.
finding it hard to get work atm

just starting out on my own as i have only recently obtained part p compliance
im advertising everywhere,website,signed van,cards

Last edited by a moderator:
People posting silly rates are not helping , this is an open forum and if Joe public see's silly rates being banded about thats what he will expect to pay , might be better to discuss such issues in the electrical arms

People posting silly rates are not helping , this is an open forum and if Joe public see's silly rates being banded about thats what he will expect to pay , might be better to discuss such issues in the electrical arms

Well said Bugsy

Reply to average wage of a sparks in the current climate in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net