Discuss average wage of a sparks in the current climate in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

evening all,,

this is a little exercise to figure out the average wage of a sparky in the current climate.

could you please post your day rate, years of experience, wether u have a van tools etc?

and please state whether you work in domestic, commercial or industrial sector

to get the ball rolling i sub for a sparks who gets regular work @£120 per day.

i have a van power tools and 5 years experience

Hi egg Im in London selfemployed with 10 years experence own van and tools I also get regular work company gives me price work or day rate for about 150 a day not sure what the going rate is.

Employed Approved sparks. Van and phone. £14.50 flat rate monday to friday, 1.5 on saturdays and sundays. been the same for 24 months with no increase in sight

its fine, you dont need to if you dont want to.

just trying to get a picture of whats available out there.

i know a couple of sparks who sub for a local electrician. he offered them £800 CASH to rewire like for like a 3 bed room house. they did it in 4 days. so it left them with £400 each!! out of that they had to pay about £60.00 to get there and another £100 on food to keep themselves going.

then theres another sparks i know who reckons he wont get out of bed for less than £250 a day!!

whats going on out there??

I work on min 500 a week net. I sometimes sub for a bloke and charge him 150 per day local or 200 if further afield/ london ect. I'm in Rochester, kent. I do mainly industrial and commercial via agency but also do domestic via a mate. For agencies I only supply hand tools, but when subbing for my mate, also supply tester and power tools and occasionally materials (added to dayrate).

Last edited:
£250.00 per day sounds reasonable.

I am charging £200.00 for fully qualified and £100.00 for apprentice.

£35.00/ hr for qualified or £17.50/hr for apprentice.

Both me and **** are qualified, gold card holder and I have a good apprentice working for me.

I am mainly domestic, a little commercial and some agricultural, I am currently booking work for late January but then have March, April and May fully booked on a large development.

I have attached a copy of my terms/rates which I send with every quote.
jpg.gif

Attachments

• img025.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Bear in mind that I work under others insurance and am not part of a scam. Cbw sounds about right for a bona fide company. How much do you pay your sparks cbwif you don't mind sharing?

I am self employed in the north west and get all my own work. I have van tools, testers, etc, part p, ins, accountant, etc.

I generally look for £140 a day, but just earn as much as i can get away with. Some weeks £1000+ and others struggle to make anything!

I've got 5 years exp and haven't really been affected by recession yet. But jobs are harder to come by, and it's more important than ever to keep tickets up to date and to get brilliant references.

I often hire in extra contractors between 18-25 per hour, they are self employed and supply own tools and van (but some except a day rate of between 100-150 for larger projects) . Although I have heard of down to 15 and some 'companies' wanting 60+ per hour, due to their 'overheads'. London and home counties area.

its fine, you dont need to if you dont want to.

just trying to get a picture of whats available out there.

i know a couple of sparks who sub for a local electrician. he offered them £800 CASH to rewire like for like a 3 bed room house. they did it in 4 days. so it left them with £400 each!! out of that they had to pay about £60.00 to get there and another £100 on food to keep themselves going.

then theres another sparks i know who reckons he wont get out of bed for less than £250 a day!!

whats going on out there??

He'll be the guy sat at home all week then, moaning theres no work around;)

I saw a couple of jobs on sites recently £8 ph another was £9 ph council job wanting every qualification under the sun n offering what worked out to be £9.50ph 5days from 7 so you dont get double time sundays as every day is treated the same CHANCERS

£150 per day with 7 days available if i want. This is for testing and supplying my own tester i have had a good run of constant work this year but i know its dire out there, i had an agency call me and and offer me £12 per hour 8 hours a day, WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE ON !

It does make me laugh, sparx have to keep on updating courses (part p 17th edition etc etc) insurances, tools and dangerous work for what i would say is a low wage.

the response is really interesting. by reading some of these posts i get the impression the work is out there. and people are still ready to spend the money. suppose its down to how many contacts you have

wow 579 views....arent we nosy bunch....

come on!! if you a self employed sparks let us know what you take home when subbing for another sparks

are there any ton a day'ers

Doesn't look like the wages are that good in the UK. I always thought you blokes were raking it in but charging out at 200 quid a day for a qualified sparky isn't as high as I would have thought.

I'm self employed and we charge out at around 275 quid a day (ZAR 380/hr) mostly commercial maintenance and repair. We're not the cheapest around but we're also not as expensive as the bigger outfits. We're turning work away on a daily basis at the moment.

No offense meant Johno, wasn't trying to be a smart arse, I genuinely thought the rates in the UK would be higher.

On price work in Glasgow 110 for 1st and second fix 12.60 on hours through the books so taxed as normal no travel time or allowance. walk out pay last week 360 pathetic if u ask me

Is there no industry standard rate set by a governing body? We have suggested industry rates, obviously there is a certain amount of haggling room and undercutting but that's mostly in the domestic installation sector. We charge at about 10% under the suggested rates which would be average for our size of company and type of work. There's also the cowboy/handyman sector but they're limited by the certification procedures required for new work and would still need a qualified sparky to sign off.

on books, JIB electrician with own van rates, except still on '08 rates! Still enjoy my job, despite lack of pay rise. Got 5 years experience so in my opinion still learning, own van but get allowance (not much). Don't have to travel too far, am content in my job, but always got half an eye out for something else. Area: East Anglia. Don't think there's too much else about round here tbf :)

I live in Herts, have worked on and off round and round for the same 3 guys over the last 5 yrs, as a subbie, CIS, own van and tools, 13pr hour, on a day rate basis £130 a day. sometimes get expenses depends on job and distance travelled, most weeks are a 50hr week so take home is £520

I used to be self employed abt 3 yrs ago. Back then was doing mainly commercial and a small ammount of house bashing. was taking home roughly £1000 a week, then the arse dropped out of the market and the work started to become less and less. It got to the point where I gave it up and went back on the road to my old trade of installing UPS systems which i am still doing now. Currently on 28k basic with van mobile laptop hotlels meals etc. With all travel ond overtime etc last two p60's were 42 and 44k before tax and this year on target for 50k+. Yes the hours are hellish (80 hour weeks and mostly away from home), the cables are big (300mm LSF SWA's) but the money is there to be made if you are willing to work at it

just seen a couple of jobs advertised via JCdirrect £8 and £9 ph for electricians FFS no wonder the games up chit creek as there are guys out there who through circumstances have to take work at this level of pay due to having debt ect built up when they were earning good money also these jobs will no doubt attract the 6week brigade looking for experiance and forign workers its pure crap

Ok...harrogate, £45.25/h

I only live down the road in Leeds. Get me a job on half of that and I'll pay my own bus fare + buy the gaffer his morning coffe and bacon buttie every day.;) (ps lads, Harrogate is the most expensive place to live outside of London. You need to be on £18 p/h just to afford a council house and food).:p

Last edited:
I'm not gonna be rich any time soon on my wage. work for a firm, 5 years experience, 17th edition and 2391. £10.50 p/h.
roughly taking home £300-£400 each week depending on hours. I get use of all tools and van (during work hours)
the work is pretty relaxed for the most part but there's always the urge to go self employed some time, but now i've just started a mortgage i dont fancy the risk just yet. gain another year or 2 experience and see how i feel.

South of England £150 a day local subie or 250 if direct to client

Own van tools 30 years etc

My rates match Hasel5 here, 6 years experience, 17th, 2391, tools van testers etc. £15p/h to most people if subbing labour, £17.50p/h to the firm I most frequently sub to. £25p/h if direct.

When it comes to pricing I would be gutted if I never lost out because I would hate to think I'm the cheapest out there. Put a good price in and do a good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to average wage of a sparks in the current climate in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net