Currently reading:
Backbox Disaster

Discuss Backbox Disaster in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

soulman

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, I returned to a property today for second fix, all was going well until i hit the sockets! The metal backboxes i installed, the fixed lug on one side would not hold the screw. The screw would just turn & not nip up. There was 6 in total out of 30 that were faulted. (Appleby)
Anybody got any ideas on how i could rectify this without removing the boxes.

Cheers

Never a disaster there is always a way round it the guys on this site are so talented in little problems like tis thats why we are all here the way I would do it as has probably been mentioned is b removing a unfixed lug and using it as basically a nut bit fiddly to get it on but it works a treat bugger for any one removing it in the future mind lo

Get some socket screw extension studs (google them, should be a link to amazon) and use a removable lug from another backbox and screw the stud in, using the good lug as a washer behind the knackered one. Then tada! Works a treat for me everytime, no drilling or anything!
Hi Mark80,

love this idea, just wondered though, can you still get a screw in the extension stud, as their won't be much room left from accessory to stud for a screw....

I always do as Mark says and use hexagon brass screw extenders , but put 2 x 3.5mm brass nut's pinched up on the back as well , ( get them from the wholesalers at the same time ) that way the extender will not work loose and just spin round if the accessories is unscrewed again .
You do have to be careful though as to the length of finishing screw to use as it has less space to go before bottoming out , and if not cut cleanly the threads will pick up on the brass extension and you are back to square one !

Reply to Backbox Disaster in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock