Discuss Basic FCU wiring question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Please excuse the basic question, I am rewiring an FCU for a washing machine, adding a socket to the FCU output to plug the washing machine into rather than wiring the washing machine directly into the FCU without a plug.

Just want to check that it is ok to wire both circuit wires back into the input terminals? And wiring for the additional socket goes into the output terminals. The image shows the two circuit wires as I found it.

I assume the reason there is two wires is because the circuit is circular?

Any help appreciated!!!

7FEE1FA5-8616-4751-964A-FD7CDCA4A544.jpeg

Why not just replace the FCU with a single socket. The fuse in the FCU protects the cable. The fuse in the washing machine plug will protect the cable.

This is of course if the circuit it suitable...

why not just change the FCU for a socket. that way you won't have 2 x 13A fuses in series.( and clean those cable ends up a bit.bright copper is better than black). the circuit could be either a RFC or a Radial. either way all sockets will have 2 cables, except for the last one on a radial.

You beat me on the testing of the possible RFC... so even... :tearsofjoy:

I wonder what will happen when the front plate is forced back on to that box after squashing in all those conductors.

i'd assume that he'd replace the buggered pattress with a deeper one. or is that too inteligent for a sunday before beer o'clock?

opps. reminds me, i got a cable stripper sitting in the vice waiting for the glue to set.

Why?
Yes a washer is a tw#t to pull out but putting sockets in cupboards are just asking to be damaged.
Just my opinion ,this is however providing an isolation switch has been fitted for the socket

You obviously don't do much rcd tripping fault finding ..... In domestic properties....

Why?
Yes a washer is a tw#t to pull out but putting sockets in cupboards are just asking to be damaged.
Just my opinion ,this is however providing an isolation switch has been fitted for the socket
Most council houses have the sockets behind were the appliance will be but have a switch near by for this

You obviously don't do much rcd tripping fault finding ..... In domestic properties....
Really?
I used to work for a social housing contractor so have had my fill doing this.
I’ve seen plenty of sockets damaged due to pots and pans being whacked against said socket in a cupboard.

Really?
I used to work for a social housing contractor so have had my fill doing this.
I’ve seen plenty of sockets damaged due to pots and pans being whacked against said socket in a cupboard.
and i've seen appliances sticking out from under the worktop because they foul the plug/socket behind.

Ive never had such a problem as all new builds appliances have the sockets behind the appliance.
However if it’s such a problem then cut off plug and fit a unswitched fused spur, problem solved.

I'd always put sockets for washing machines/dishwashers etc in adjacent base units , risk of damage can be minimised by sensible positioning. I just think it's bordering on idiocy to put connection points in behind heavy appliances.

Reply to Basic FCU wiring question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net