Discuss Bathroom Extractor Fan Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI There,

I would be grateful if you could help me, I have a very long duct between the bathroom and extractor outlet vent and for sometime, the bathroom stream overwhelms the extractor fan so much that I end up having severe condensation and moisture puddles, because it was a new build. They sent over an electrician who put in an Addvent AVC075HLF Extractor fan.

What he realised after he installed it was that in the cavity wall close to the outlet vent (pictured) was a Vent Axia ACM100T, he took it out and just joined the ducting together. I did ask if there was a way we could keep it going to make the bathroom extractor fan more effective, he said you could not have both running at the same time and disposed of it.

Now that it is gone, the problem is now even worse in that bathroom, before the vent flaps used to flow with the amount of air going through and now nothing happens at all.

I wanted to check what the best solution could be ?

• Put back in the Vent Axia ACM 100T?
  • Put in place a more powerful version of the Vent Axia ACM 100T

Is it possible to hook this up and run it alongside the current Addvent Extractor fan?

Any help or insight would be gratefully received.

Positive Optimist.

TL;DR
Best practice for running an inline fan and external bathroom extractor fan.

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 22
The VentAxia ACT100T that was removed has an airflow spec of 61 L/s.
The new Addvent AVC075HLF has an airflow spec of only 26 L/s.
So the new fan is going to be less than half the airflow of the old one (assuming the old one was working properly).

You don't mention how long the ducting is, but typcially fans such as the Addvent model are only effective for up to 3m of duct.
Beyond that, I'd be fitting an in-line type such as the VentAxia one that was removed.
Or a Manrose MF100T (68 L/s).

Can’t really make out the orientation of that photograph…. But I’m sure an in-line fan works best when mounted horizontally…. And screwed down.

Thank you both for your kind and helpful advice, my new question is, could I not keep the Addvent fitted and also have the Vent Axia at the same time? rather than one or the other?

Reply to Bathroom Extractor Fan Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net