Discuss Bathroom light, relocating 240/12v transformer to loft. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A 240 to 12v bathroom light with 4 x 20 MR-11 bulbs on my bathroom ceiling recently failed due to the transformer mounted inside it dying .

The failed transformer was 35-110W with dimensions about 125 x 40 x 20 mm "thick/high" so I bought as a replacement a Dais-105 (Toolstation item 44577) which is about the same rating and size but a bit "thicker" so it won't quite fit within the light fitting.
I also thought it would be better placed where it would have some space and ventilation.
I therefore mounted the transformer on the ceiling plasterboard above and brought the 12V (rather than 240V) into the fitting from the loft above.
I used good quality marine 12V cable.

It seems to work fine.
However I wonder if you experts have any practical comments and if this is actually allowable.

Thanks in advance.
A

Should be OK, subject to all connections being well made and properly enclosed.

Do not cover the transformer with insulation. Also why didn't you take the opportunity to change to LED.

Thanks chaps, for your fast help and comments.

-I deliberately put the transformer uncovered in a clear place with good, carefully made connections.

-Yes it is a proper bathroom fitting.

-Now I have it "approved" by yourselves I will change over to LED. Being a tight Yorkshireman I didn't want to buy 4 bulbs before I knew the fitting installation was OK.

Hi - just to make your day (sorry) there is a chance that new transformer won't run 4 leds. From your original post it's marked 35W minimum.

I take it that the lower Wattage LEDs may not work so I'll stick with the standard bulbs.
The bulb I just put in was 16W, so I'm guessing 4 of those should be about right for a 35 - 110 W transformer.

Thanks.

Now I have it "approved" by yourselves I will change over to LED. Being a tight Yorkshireman I didn't want to buy 4 bulbs before I knew the fitting installation was OK.

Hum ............ did we say that?

Reply to Bathroom light, relocating 240/12v transformer to loft. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net