Discuss Bedroom lights without earths in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Car123

DIY
Reaction score
Here is another question. In my bedrooms 1 light is earthed and two are not. The lights are pendants..All plastic fittings. I have been told there needs to be further investigation. The investigation apparently needing to get up in to the loft to look for the earth. This is a problem for me as the loft is looked and choker block with my stuff. Loads of it. The loft is locked and I am not sure where the key is. (Lockdown intervened(.Anyhow I have asked the electricians why they need to investigate further. I said I thought it was okay that bedroom lights are not earthed with plastic fittings. They just dont answer. I am feeling a bit desparate about it as I have 28 days to complete the work

considering the new law for new tenants this year ,and next year all rented will need a test cert
either you let them do investigation has F1 ,has it failed .
Well I know that. My question is about understanding why and what they need to investigate. My understanding was that bedroom lights do not need to be earthed if they are doubly insulated. I have asked the electricians twice to explain why and have had no reply

I reckon your stuck on this one mate, if there’s no cpc then it’s not rcd’d so depending on inspector you are probably getting a C2 regardless...so it’ll need sorting and that will involve accessing the loft

I reckon your stuck on this one mate, if there’s no cpc then it’s not rcd’d so depending on inspector you are probably getting a C2 regardless...so it’ll need sorting and that will involve accessing the loft
I don't really understand. I thought perhaps incorrectly that bedroom .lights did not need an earth if doubly insulated.

It seems strange that one of the bedrooms has an earth though? Are the other bedrooms not wired in twin and earth? Maybe the electrician thinks the cpc must be tucked away in the loft- probably could have dropped the ceiling rose to have a look though and they should be able to see if it's t&e without even doing that.

You're right though that if the lighting circuit has no cpc then it must only have class 2 fittings and plastic switches and would then warrant a C3 and a notice not to connect any class 1 fittings as circuit has no cpc.

I know the loft may have no access right now but considering one light has no earth it would be a quick and easy upgrade to have the remaining lights earthed in the future to improve safety (and wouldn't cost much).

I don't really understand. I thought perhaps incorrectly that bedroom .lights did not need an earth if doubly insulated.
No lights need an Earth if double insulated.....right up until the 18th When all circuits need rcd protection in a domestic setting...which can’t happen with no cpc, I would say that if the others have cpcs you may have them there and they’ve just been cut out (not uncommon) which is why they’ll want to access the loft to rectify.....in fairness to the sparks if they can find it that’s a cheap fix for you

Last edited:
Well I know that. My question is about understanding why and what they need to investigate. My understanding was that bedroom lights do not need to be earthed if they are doubly insulated. I have asked the electricians twice to explain why and have had no reply
i love people saying it worked before so why should it change ,answer tenant council heath and safety and a man with big hammer ,stop and go to jail. no free card then .

No lights need an Earth if double insulated.....right up until the 18th When all circuits need rcd protection in a domestic setting...which can’t happen with no cpc, I would say that if the others have cpcs you may have them there and they’ve just been cut out (no uncommon) which is why they’ll want to access the loft to rectify.....in fairness to the sparks if they can find it that’s a cheap fix for you
Well 1) the bathroom is not earthed but that's okay I am told as it has a doubly insulated light fitting. I understood originally from the electrician who did the test that it was okay that the lights are not earthed as they are in bedrooms and have plastic pendant fittings. At the 2014 EICR it passed. So I am confused.

I think it would be useful to post a copy of this report if you have a couple of things on it you would like clearing up.

just remove the personal details first.

Well 1) the bathroom is not earthed but that's okay I am told as it has a doubly insulated light fitting. I understood originally from the electrician who did the test that it was okay that the lights are not earthed as they are in bedrooms and have plastic pendant fittings. At the 2014 EICR it passed. So I am confused.
how thing have changed since 2014 ,hey Marty . so where did i leave the the DeLorean car .

Lighting circuits installed before 1966 did not require a circuit protective conductor (cpc) to be run to and terminated at every point and accessory of a lighting circuit, as is currently required by Regulation 411.3.1.1 of BS 7671. my version .

I think it would be useful to post a copy of this report if you have a couple of things on it you would like clearing up.

just remove the personal details first.
Well I don't have the report as they will not be issuing it until the work is done. I have a number of points sent to me by email.. 1).The wrong fuse was put in the consumer unit by an electrician who fitted new lights. This has been changed. C2).The light in the bathroom highlighted in last EICR was changed then..But they put the wrong one in. This too has been rectified.C2 3 ).There is loose trunking. This was raised on EICR in 2014. I did not see the report at the time as agent had it. I have now got hold of it and it was registered as C3. It is now graded as C2. I think that I now understand that since Edition 18 this grading may have changed. Though the electrician who did it in 2014 says its still C3. But whatever. 4) There is no label on the gas to show the water And gas are earthed C2. I think this needs a clamp?. Don't understand this at all but .. 5).The investigation regarding The lights

A circuit protective conductor shall be run to and terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory except a lampholder having no exposed-conductive-parts and suspended from such a point
Well you sound like you know what you are talking about. Problem is being ignorant I don't understand what all this means. What does this involve? Has this changed since 2014

Reply to Bedroom lights without earths in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net