Discuss Being employed and self employed at the same time? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Would an employer know if you are registered as self employed and doing private work? Through your tax codes etc? Would my p60 that my employer sends me include the income from being self employed also? Or would it be separate?

Cheers

The 2 income streams are 100% separate until you get to your tax return. If you are a spark and are planning on sparking on the side do TELL your employer or you could get an instant dismissal.

How so?

If your own work Is done in your own time how is it anything to do with him?

It's quite often in your terms and conditions to notify or it restricts you from working S/E

Your employer may see you as competition as you may be canvassing for work whilst in their employment.

1) If you mess a job up (not saying that you WILL, just IF), then you potentially also bring your employer into disrepute.
2) Suppose you've not told your employer, and they find out you've been doing stuff on the side - instant thought is are you taking materials?

It's as much to cover your own back as anything else.

How so?

If your own work Is done in your own time how is it anything to do with him?

Read your contract of employment. If you haven't got one, ask for one. Then you will know.

Plus if you are doing Part P stuff how are you going to register it? Join a scheme? DO you have your own tester as the scheme WILL want to see the calibration cert for your MFT in your name, plus your PL ins etc.

I had my company set up while employed for around 1 year. I kept quite though rather than be upfront, figuring I was on my way out anyway so if they found out no massive problem.

Biggest problem you will face depending on your current earnings is tax. If your doing everything "above board" then you will get hammered by tax on the second income. Every job I put through my company while employed was being taxed at 40%.

Read your contract of employment. If you haven't got one, ask for one. Then you will know.

Plus if you are doing Part P stuff how are you going to register it? Join a scheme? DO you have your own tester as the scheme WILL want to see the calibration cert for your MFT in your name, plus your PL ins etc.

I havent got any form of contract with boss, all paperwork is through jtl who are running my training

I have never received any paperwork from my employer since I started working for him. Just a p60 that I requested from his accountant

I havent got any form of contract with boss, all paperwork is through jtl who are running my training

I have never received any paperwork from my employer since I started working for him. Just a p60 that I requested from his accountant

So do you have a contract with JTL? I'm confused.

It's quite often in your terms and conditions to notify or it restricts you from working S/E

Your employer may see you as competition as you may be canvassing for work whilst in their employment.

Yes that's true but it never holds up law, just because its in you contract doesn't make it correct. its a free country you cant enslave people.

Reply to Being employed and self employed at the same time? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net