Discuss Bellwire alongside T&E in conduit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Martin G

I have some 20mm conduit going to the lights in my garage. I've wired them up using 1.5mm T&E in the conduit rather than conduit cable.

I'm looking at routing my garage door opener cable in the same conduit, however from what I understand you cant mix low voltage cables with mains. As the lighting cable is already double insulated, am I ok to run the bell wire alongside the T&E or must I also use T&E for my garage door opener rather than bell wire?

Cheers

You will have to seperate them, the current passing through the lighting cable will cause interfere with garage control cable, probably worse to put them in the same conduit. I remember a problem where a door bell cable was ran along side a socket cable, when the Hoover was used on the socket near the bell wire, the door bell would ring!

Tho some manufacturers state for circuits not exceeding 50v ac or 75v dc

More to do with the CSA tho I think?

Bell wire generally has an operational voltage of 50vac or 75vdc but the insulation withstand should be 300v but this may depend on the region of China it comes from.

I have some 20mm conduit going to the lights in my garage. I've wired them up using 1.5mm T&E in the conduit rather than conduit cable.

I'm looking at routing my garage door opener cable in the same conduit, however from what I understand you cant mix low voltage cables with mains. As the lighting cable is already double insulated, am I ok to run the bell wire alongside the T&E or must I also use T&E for my garage door opener rather than bell wire?

Cheers
Your lighting is at LV

mornin; pete

ok Pete. fine. bit hung over from 1/2 bottle famous grouse last nite.

lightweight my arse. if i'd drunk the whole bottle, i'd have to buy another one for tonite. state pension only goes so far. got to buy smokes as well as booze. then working does the luxuries like food, diesel, bills etc.

spot on pete. 3 pints of theakstons, had to stay reasonably sober as i'm home alone apart from dogs. they need letting out for pees etc. from time to time.

Hi Martin
Mains and control voltages are mixed up all the time in for example industrial control panels. It's routine. But rather than rubbish bell wire, why not use some oval double-insulated mains flex? Much better quality, thin, cheap, and easy to work with.
What you don't say is whether the control circuit is a simple switch, or some funky electronics box which might not like AC voltage induced on the control cable.
Cheers, Mark

CA0_5OV2B.jpg

Reply to Bellwire alongside T&E in conduit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net