Discuss Best 4x4 for 20K . in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd been considering buy a Discovery Sport (when I used to be rich :().

However it would seem they (and the Evoque) have a nasty little design issue, oil dilution with their diesel engines. So I wouldn't touch a used one with a barge pole.

The F-Pace, which has a similar engine, doesn't have the issue as the engine is not mounted transversally.
You got divorced, thats a real money drainer......... I feel your pain ;o))))

I have one of these, minus the straight through pipes...........

260BHP AWD, fuel consumption errr don't ask 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and it does surprise a lot of people especially the Porsche driver from a couple of weeks okay lol

Get a 2011/2012 4.4l V8 diesel V8.

A pal of mine did just that...lovely looker,went well,not as bad on fuel either...
It's recently come out of Landranger,having had a complete engine,and will have to run faultlessly,for 20 years,to justify his expenditure :(

We have touched on this topic before,and i'm not a hater:) me first ever vehicle was a series 2,and i have done plenty of messing with all the models,accepting that individuals issues,are not the full story.

The RR/Disco story,from 15 years back,is one of the emperors new clothes,style over substance,and forceful PR campaign of sponsored promotion. But with design flaws,toy like quality of components,inbuilt maintenance obstruction and exponential depreciation,it has lost my vote...

The TDV6 story,is a case in point. If you bought a new house,you would not expect to encounter issues with gutters,windows,etc,but if you did,and to repair or replace them,you had to take down the outer skin of brickwork,then build it up again,would you be impressed?

The last person this happened to,was me pals father in law,and the vehicle was 3 years old...so no warranty. What did it cost new?

Three times the cost of a property i have,near to Mcr centre....

That can't be right...:eek:

A pal of mine did just that...lovely looker,went well,not as bad on fuel either...
It's recently come out of Landranger,having had a complete engine,and will have to run faultlessly,for 20 years,to justify his expenditure :(

We have touched on this topic before,and i'm not a hater:) me first ever vehicle was a series 2,and i have done plenty of messing with all the models,accepting that individuals issues,are not the full story.

The RR/Disco story,from 15 years back,is one of the emperors new clothes,style over substance,and forceful PR campaign of sponsored promotion. But with design flaws,toy like quality of components,inbuilt maintenance obstruction and exponential depreciation,it has lost my vote...

The TDV6 story,is a case in point. If you bought a new house,you would not expect to encounter issues with gutters,windows,etc,but if you did,and to repair or replace them,you had to take down the outer skin of brickwork,then build it up again,would you be impressed?

The last person this happened to,was me pals father in law,and the vehicle was 3 years old...so no warranty. What did it cost new?

Three times the cost of a property i have,near to Mcr centre....

That can't be right...:eek:

The trick is to buy the last ones in the range. Hence the 2011/12 L322. These years and that engine have a great reputation for reliability. Yes it has design issues that frustrate me but what car doesn't? One thing is you will not get a better 4x4. It is amazing off road and on road.

The other issue is maintenance. People just do not maintain them properly. People purchase really old RRs for relatively cheap money because they want a RR but cannot afford a decent one then also cannot justify £1500 yearly cost in maintaining them. Then they moan when things start to go wrong.

If people want a decent RR then they need to stump up the money it costs to buy a decent one. People buying old dogs then complaining about them is ridiculous.

I knew a bloke once who owned a Lexus. He said they were the best cars in the world. Until he bought an Audi TT, then Audi's became the best cars in the world. See how fickle people can be.

Anyway, ain't Lexus just a posh Toyota?

The trick is to buy the last ones in the range. Hence the 2011/12 L322. These years and that engine have a great reputation for reliability. Yes it has design issues that frustrate me but what car doesn't? One thing is you will not get a better 4x4. It is amazing off road and on road.

The other issue is maintenance. People just do not maintain them properly. People purchase really old RRs for relatively cheap money because they want a RR but cannot afford a decent one then also cannot justify £1500 yearly cost in maintaining them. Then they moan when things start to go wrong.

If people want a decent RR then they need to stump up the money it costs to buy a decent one. People buying old dogs then complaining about them is ridiculous.

We could go at this,all night :)
The very fact that we should "hunt" for the golden two year model,and yet it still has issues,is my point...
A great deal of friends and associates,had theirs dealer serviced,from new,with below average mileage and mild use,and still got reamed.

Me pal R...in litigation with his new RR after 3 months
Me pal E...various dash lights on,since new,can't fix
Me pal B...returned at 2 weeks/650 miles,for new steering rack
Me pal T...£2800 bill at first "free" service for ECU and EGR refunded after complaint...

The phrase is "fit for purpose",and preferences,history,and opinion,are fine...BUT,the question i like to put to the Guy Salmon lads,at the shows,is "Is it right,that you can spend £130,000 on a vehicle,and STILL be walking?" :eek:

If your RR can make it to Manchester,i'll have you a dragging comp,for logbooks,with me old Patrol...no falling out...i'll even drop yer back at the train station ;)

(All banter,my friend:):):))

The oil dilution problem I mentioned with the Discovery Sport has been made worse by poor maintenance.

In a nutshell, due to design the vehicle tries DPF regen's, which require 30-40mins driving. If the vehicles is turned off during this process, a small amount of diesel is dumped into the sump, causing dilution of oil. Not a problem 'cos it does a test (through algorithms of failed regens) and says when the oil needs replacing.

Trouble is, this vehicle was designed to go without an oil change at 21k's, so the LR service centres just reset the alarm. Some DS owners are carrying out their own oil checks, 'cos they don't trust their service centres.

So you may have thousands of used DS out there, with a potential major engine failure. All down to bad maintenance by LR.

well lol, this thread has taken off, thanks for the replies guys, however I have decided on a Shogun, I will post pics when I get one, cheers.

Reply to Best 4x4 for 20K . in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net