Discuss Between A Rock And A Hard Place in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nickyboy85

Okie peeps, this is my situation:

I'm 28 years old, have my Level 3 2330 City & Guilds Certificate which I worked three years, part time at college to obtain. I tried to find myself work in the industry, but nobody would take me on as a trainee. I began work as an Alarm Engineer, and in the mean time obtained my Part P City & Guilds Cert, a PAT Testing Cert as well, and little to none working experience. But unfortunately am not working as an engineer anymore. Have found work, but nothing to do with Electrical. I feel like I've paid all that money and done all that training for nothing. Any ideas on how, and where to aim next? I still wanna try and get myself in the industry anyway possible.

Cheers guys

Nick M

If you really wanna do electrical you just gotta keep looking until you find something. Its tough out their at the moment, i just got laid off by my company half way through my apprenticeship due to financial pressure, so will also be looking for an employer.

Good luck with your search mate.:smile:

Perhaps i have a suspicious mind, but something here just doesn't gel!! So why did you feel the need to take a building qualification when your an electrician, or a PAT testing qualification come to that?? You see Both of those useless qualifications are generally part of the package of these 17/20 day training centre deals....

See where i'm coming from?? lol!!

Unfortunately a lot of the colleges are no better than the short course trainining establishments in just wanting to take your money! They lead you along for 2/3 yrs part-time with the 2330 (or whatever its number is now) letting you pay out your money but at the end of it you cant do much -- well maybe an electricians mate.

With the 2330 though you're half way through the "apprenticeship" in that what you're looking for now to complete it I believe is the AM2 and the NVQ3 -- for which you need the experience and training from working to achieve.

Just keep plugging away with local companies and selling the fact that you are 2330 qualified already. But at 28 you will be fighting against the commercial aspects that the company can get govt funding for training a young 'pup' apprentice and also his hr rate will be a lot less than for you!

Have you thought about trying to get some work through an agency....? Loads up your way, not always great pay, you'll come across a fair few chancers and probably not a long term solution. But could get you a 'foot in the door' with some varied on site experience to put on your CV.

All the best

Sy

Last edited:
Unfortunately a lot of the colleges are no better than the short course trainining establishments in just wanting to take your money! They lead you along for 2/3 yrs part-time with the 2330 (or whatever its number is now) letting you pay out your money but at the end of it you cant do much -- well maybe an electricians mate.

With the 2330 though you're half way through the "apprenticeship" in that what you're looking for now to complete it I believe is the AM2 and the NVQ3 -- for which you need the experience and training from working to achieve.

Just keep plugging away with local companies and selling the fact that you are 2330 qualified already. But at 28 you will be fighting against the commercial aspects that the company can get govt funding for training a young 'pup' apprentice and also his hr rate will be a lot less than for you!

I don't know about that to be honest, but i find it a little strange that a college would be pushing building regulation and PATcourse's. I would have thought the AM2 would have been more in line for a technical college, if not, the other far more meaningful courses that would enhance the 2330 Lv 3 qualification.

In fact (as far as i remember) when AM2 was split away from the actual core course, it was still part and parcel of passing the the core qualification. It seems now it's completely separate, which doesn't make much sense to me at all!!

..... i find it a little strange that a college would be pushing building regulation and PATcourse's. I would have thought the AM2 would have been more in line for a technical college, if not, the other far more meaningful courses that would enhance the 2330 Lv 3 qualification.

Sorry, it wasnt the PAT/Part P courses I was refering to it was the "2330" equivalent. Colleges actively take on 'youngsters' and spend 3 yrs getting them to the 2330 level 3 knowing at the end of the day they wont be qualified as 'electricians' and effectively cant become one unless employed. Infact I believe they now get you to sign a statement that you understand this due to the fact that there have been complaints!.

As far as Im aware colleges dont do the AM2 training/exam but will assess you for the NVQ3 --- not train you or give you the experience, just assess you! But they do PAT courses etc as night courses. At the end of the day they are 'mini' businesses and need to generate their own money as the govt doesnt totally support them fully. (Happy to be corrected if my facts are wrong)

Your 2330 will be accepted in lieu of 2365 as underpinning knowledge for 2357 NVQ3. If you can get on the 2356 NVQ3 (not sure if still available) it will work out cheaper and you wont need AM2.

Reply to Between A Rock And A Hard Place in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net