Discuss Bizarre Issue with Chandelier Bulbs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Original G4 bulbs (non dimmable) from China work fine. Chandelier works. If I had a dimmer attached the dimmer gets fried.
Hi notmuchgoingon86
The link you provided a while back shows you bought bulbs rated at 12-24volts, which you put into a chandelier running from the mains.
that is why they go pop. They are the wrong bulbs.
To achieve your goal, you need dimmable G4 220 - 240V (or maybe 120V if that is your mains voltage) bulbs.

Good luck with your search.

Just another thought….. if it’s a chandelier with loads of lamps, they could all be wired in series? So 20 lamps @ 12v = 240, etc. Just trying to demo a dimmer with a few lamps will throw the maths out and make them pop….

The ad in the link is extremely confusing. As far as I can make out, they are offering a 3W 220-240V G4 lamp and a 5W 12V G4 lamp. I've no idea if either is dimmable.
There doesn't appear to be a 120V version, suitable for the US, although I understand split phase 240V is common there, but not normally used for lighting circuits.
Given the dubious quality of some of these imports, the best solution would probably be to convert to 12V and use a dimmable driver. OP hasn't said how many lamps are involved, but if it's many, then the current handling capacity of the cables might need some thought.

The ad in the link is extremely confusing. As far as I can make out, they are offering a 3W 220-240V G4 lamp and a 5W 12V G4 lamp. I've no idea if either is dimmable.
There doesn't appear to be a 120V version, suitable for the US, although I understand split phase 240V is common there, but not normally used for lighting circuits.
Given the dubious quality of some of these imports, the best solution would probably be to convert to 12V and use a dimmable driver. OP hasn't said how many lamps are involved, but if it's many, then the current handling capacity of the cables might need some thought.
The link in OP's post #9, in which he said these were the one's he tried that went pop, was what I was referring to this morning.
These appear to be exclusively low-voltage, unless I'm missing something!

I read through the thread several times and still missed that link, but voltage is clearly stated 12-24V DC.

Problem solved in post #3.
Op had another thread going.

He said it had 30 x G9s, and now he's using g4s ? Unless it's a completely different light he's talking about in this thread ?.

Last edited:
If i was to guess I'd say the dimmable g4s you are getting are 12v and the pop is you blowing the internals up with mains voltage. Personally I don't trust these Chinese fittings and would be cautious about having them in my house.
Ok now I think I understand. Most LEDs require a transformer to step down the voltage to 12v. Since this product has no transformer, the G4 bulbs the Chinese provided are hooked up directly to the mains but are not dimmable. So it seems I have to try to located dimmable G4 bulbs that are rated for 120V. Does that sound right? And I am starting to agree with you. I am having some concerns about these Chinese fixtures I bought. But I see the same ones I bought on on Amazon being sold everyday.

Op had another thread going.

He said it had 30 x G9s, and now he's using g4s ? Unless it's a completely different light he's talking about in this thread ?.
My error. I meant that the fixture uses G4, not G9.

The issue of voltage has been raised several times, but you haven't yet addressed the questions posed.

Can you confirm if the G4 lamps that made a pop are indeed rated for mains voltage? As other respondents have pointed out, it's seems as though this is the issue.

Amazon sell dimable G4 lamps rated for mains voltage, but I make no recommendations and wouldn't want them in my own home. If these lamps are suited to your application, matching them with a dimmer may be another issue that doesn't easily resolve itself.
Ok now I think I understand. Most LEDs require a transformer to step down the voltage to 12v. Since this product has no transformer, the G4 bulbs the Chinese provided are hooked up directly to the mains but are not dimmable. So it seems I have to try to located dimmable G4 bulbs that are rated for 120V. Does that sound right? Is there a special type of dimmer that I need to look for as well. I purchased a Lutron Maestro LED dimmer.

As a general rule, G9s are mains voltage and G4s are 12 volts, but there are a few exceptions, and if you can find 120 volt dimmable G4s your problem is solved. You caused considerable confusion on here by wrongly stating that the lamps are G9.
If this fitting has 30 lamps, then you're only going to want very low wattage ones, unless you're trying to light a banqueting hall with just one fitting. With 5W LEDs, the total would be 150W of LED lighting, which will be the order of 15000 lumens = very bright.
LEDs have a large inrush (start up) current, so with this number of lamps switching on at the same time, you'll have to make sure your chosen dimmer can handle this.

Reply to Bizarre Issue with Chandelier Bulbs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net