Discuss Brain Teasers - they've got me beat! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Depends how much you want to help this Lady. There seems an awful lot of work there and no doubt it will cost several pounds to put right. As jdd said, and following on from my initial post, either do a full EICR, or at least list what needs doing, then get LBC involved. If you were to tell them that this is all for assessment, and you will notify any notifiable work you identify after you become part P registered, then they may waive the fee.
Or get Dave from down the pub to come and do it all for £100 cash, as nobody at BC seems to care about enforcing part P anyway. (I don't really mean that, just getting fed up with cowboys getting away with murder and nobody in authority giving a damn).

... just getting fed up with cowboys getting away with murder and nobody in authority giving a damn.
Thanks to all for the advice received; it's much appreciated.
I'll have a chat with the lady ASAP and see how she feels about my possibly using her job as an assessment case and take things forward from there.

I feel very sympathetic for all who are fed up with Part P not doing what it was supposed to and keeping the cowboys and other incompetents away from the jobs. I dislike the Part P idea personally, mainly because it seems to have been counter-productibve from square 1 and effectively penalises time served and fully qual'd sparks whilst not having any noticeable effect on B. Ogit and S. Carper Ltd.

It also makes some qual'd (but not reg'd) competent people constantly self-doubt what they are doing and have done and as such hugely undermines self-confidence (I am a case in point as I'm sure you guessed from the way I phrased that).

However, whether we like it or not, Part P exists and I'm not willing to knowingly do anything that goes against it..... even if that means that I may yet decide not to actually go back to electrical work at all.

For now, though, with Mrs. Down-the road, I will at the very least enquire about the options for doing the job for her myself as an assessed piece of work and work hard to persuade her to get it done by someone reg'd ASAP if it turns out for any reason that she isn't happy about either using it for my assessment and / or paying for LBC to check my (un-reg'd) work ad sign off.

Thank again for eveyone's responses.

Sounds like you can be honest with the lady, and if you are competent, why not use this as a means to join a scam provider. Good luck, mate. Been there, done it. I hate the scam providers, but TBH they are a necessity if you're going to be regularly doing domestic work. So, go for it!

Thanks again for all the advice on this folks.

Mrs. Down-The-Road said she'd be happy for me to use the work as an inspection piece but then events overtook us: her electric towel rain in the downstairs loo stopped working and she 'phoned a lady electrician I'd pointed her towards as it was during a short break I was taking. Lady electrician arrived, disconnected towel rail which had an internal fault and is sealed unit and Mrs. DTR then mentioned to her all the concerns I'd raised over the state of the circuits and the CU. Upshot was that lady electrician opened CU, stood back in horror and told Mrs. DTR that all my concerns were very well founded. 2 days later Mrs. DTR had lady elec plus her two labourers start a full rewire which is now done and dusted and signed off.
Part of me is a little disappointed but I have to say that a larger part of me is quite relieved.

Reply to Brain Teasers - they've got me beat! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net