Discuss out of this world problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Would be grateful for some advice. Would like to add an additional light (Undercabinet 8W LED Batten light) to a two-way light switch circuit. The attached photo shows the existing switch back and wiring, the right-hand side shows a switch that turns on and off the centre ceiling light, and the left side is a two-way wired switch that turns on two wall lights at each side of the bed, with a switch at the side of the bed to use as a two-way light circuit. Would like to add an extra LED light to this two-way switch circuit at the switch if possible, that turns on and off with the two bedside lights plus the additional LED light. Could you please advise if this is possible with an LED Batten light and how to wire this to the existing wiring? The LED light has brown and blue cables, no earth. I am a normal DIY’er when it comes to electrics, yet have completed an outside light system with several remote censors successfully, and also completed central heating wiring to the boiler etc.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Mickyboy.
IMG_2997.jpg

Hi All,

Would be grateful for some advice. Would like to add an additional light (Undercabinet 8W LED Batten light) to a two-way light switch circuit. The attached photo shows the existing switch back and wiring, the right-hand side shows a switch that turns on and off the centre ceiling light, and the left side is a two-way wired switch that turns on two wall lights at each side of the bed, with a switch at the side of the bed to use as a two-way light circuit. Would like to add an extra LED light to this two-way switch circuit at the switch if possible, that turns on and off with the two bedside lights plus the additional LED light. Could you please advise if this is possible with an LED Batten light and how to wire this to the existing wiring? The LED light has brown and blue cables, no earth. I am a normal DIY’er when it comes to electrics, yet have completed an outside light system with several remote censors successfully, and also completed central heating wiring to the boiler etc.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Mickyboy.View attachment 112577
Looks like you will have to take the feed from one of the existing lights.

No not from the switch as there doesn't appear to be a Neutral connection.
Hi DefyG and mainline,

Thank you for your reply, I did not think that the post yesterday was accepted by Electricians Forum as I had no confirmation it had been posted, so posted it again this morning.

Is there no way to use the existing switch as shown in the photo, to connect the additional light even altering the wiring to be able to use it? To get to the wiring that connects to the wall lights would mean taking off roof tiles to find the cables in that area, as the property was rewired about 40 years ago and the electricians had full access to that area before alterations to that section of the property were carried out. The new LED light is 2.5 meters from the switch and the cable will run through a fitted wardrobe.

Thank you both for your advice.

Mickyboy.

Looks like you will have to take the feed from one of the existing lights.
Hi DefyG and mainline,

Thank you for your reply, I did not think that the post yesterday was accepted by Electricians Forum as I had no confirmation it had been posted, so posted it again this morning.

Is there no way to use the existing switch as shown in the photo, to connect the additional light even altering the wiring to be able to use it? To get to the wiring that connects to the wall lights would mean taking off roof tiles to find the cables in that area, as the property was rewired about 40 years ago and the electricians had full access to that area before alterations to that section of the property were carried out. The new LED light is 2.5 meters from the switch and the cable will run through a fitted wardrobe.

Mickyboy.

No Not without a neutral connection.

You have the minimum number of wires for the 2 switches as it is.
You could lose the 2way and convert the black strapper to a Neutral but depends where that goes and if N is available along its route!

Hi DefyG and mainline,

Mickyboy.
Can you get a supply to your new light at all from elsewhere ?

Reply to out of this world problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net