Discuss Putting a light in attic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

u0362565

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was thinking to add some lights like in the attached image, basically twin batten lights to my attic but i'm not familiar with strip lights like this. Do you need to buy the cable that will link the two battens? OR do you get a short length and then can buy additional length cable and extend? The threaded ends are what secures the cable in place? Once connected to the internal terminals.. If i could get away with it and have enough light is it much easier to just have a single or not much difference to setup?

If i didn't want to extend the lighting circuit due to technical difficulty (i'm not an electrician), would it be possible to add a length of cable to these lights and put on a rewireable plug? and connect it to a socket on my landing as and when i need them? Would need several metres of cable for it to reach.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    71.3 KB · Views: 12
A link to the product details would be better.

The better lights (like some JCC strip lights I used recently) have terminals that take two wires so you can easily cascade one light to another. Some have a knock-out blank for the cable glands to go in, others just a mark and you need something like a 20mm hole saw to cut holes for the cable glands. Cable and glands almost certainly are a separate purchase.

You can wire them to a 13A plug and enough wire to reach a socket, but I think you would be much better to get an electrician in to put them up and have a fixed switch where it is convenient. Far less risk of getting tangled/tripped when using a ladder to your attic, etc.

Something like:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-twin-6ft-led-batten-59w-6800lm-220-240v/337pp

Doesn't sound that easy when it's a twin. I basically want an interim solution as at some point will rewire but just want light up there for now. Maybe a decent work light is a good alternative.

Thanks for the suggestions

I'm fairly certain those LAP battens make no provision for earthing, so wiring through them isn't going to work.

Probably easiest to have the loft lighting reconfigured to two ceiling roses and then flex from each rose to a batten. Quick, easy job for an electrician and future replacement is made simple.

I'm fairly certain those LAP battens make no provision for earthing, so wiring through them isn't going to work.

Probably easiest to have the loft lighting reconfigured to two ceiling roses and then flex from each rose to a batten. Quick, easy job for an electrician and future replacement is made simple.

Ok, thanks for the advice on this

Reply to Putting a light in attic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net