Discuss Brand new Cooker trips electric in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

kev51773

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just brought a brand new electric cooker to replace my old electric cooker. It works fine, I can cook for as long as I want with no problems at all until about 10 minutes or so after I turn it off.
This applies to both ovens and the grill.
It seems related to the fan/s as it doesn't happen unless the oven/grill has been on long enough to cause the fan to stay on after I stop cooking.

When it trips it takes out the main RCD for the whole house.

Any thoughts on anything or is this likely to be a faulty cooker?

Hi - sorry to hear of the tripping problem ! Can I ask make and model of the new cooker please?

This cooker isn’t supplied with a connection cable and may need the phases joined at the connection plate. Do you feel that is done ok? This pic is from the installation instructions and hopefully it makes sense with what’s been connected.

177F3FDC-8DAB-48C9-835B-CAF36A8FCEE1.jpeg

I'm confident there's no problem there (or at the other end of the cable) I've double and triple checked and they've now got to be about the neatest cooker connections I've ever seen.

Ok, the next thought is sometimes an element needs to go through a few cycles to dry out. But that would be only an hour of use, I’d have thought. Which brings us to the cooker is leaky, but is it faulty? A 30mA RCD will trip somewhere between 15mA and 30mA leakage current. It’s normal for a house to have some leakage, say 10mA all up. Divided across 2 RCD no problem. But all on one, and if that unit trips at 15mA then there’s not much extra to play with. One manufacturer (no names :)) advises its large electric cookers have their own RCBO, I think I can guess why... So, an RCD ramp test might be a useful next step.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Brand new Cooker trips electric in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net