• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Brick Lights. SWA terminating. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just after some guidance, i am a qualified Auto Electrician with a good number of years behind me. While confident in my own ability in domestic applications i am not fully aware of the Regs.

I am planning on installing 3 or 4 (mind not made up yet) brick lights in my garden wall parallel with my drive.

I intend on running 1.5mm SWA along the wall clipped with SWA cleats which will be circa 400mm above the level of the soil in the garden looping in and out of wiska Junction Boxes with the correct earthed glands etc.

The question is am i then OK to run flex (maybe pond flex) from the junction box through the wall to the back of the brick light. The wall is 2 bricks thick (double thickness) i will use the correct glad on the flex.
(The picture below shows the lay out if it uploads ok.) Credit Google image search

Thank you
James.
Brick Lights. SWA terminating. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Brick Lights. SWA terminating. j box - EletriciansForums.net

can't see a problem with your suggested method. bear in mind the circuit needs to be RCD protected (18th Ed.), so be wary of possible water ingress. ( unless of course, you designed it pre Jan. 1st. 2019.o_Oo_Oo_O.)

Super thank you very much.
That has confirmed my thoughts on the matter.

The feed for these lights is from a spare 6A RCD in the house consumer unit.
Up to a switch in the cupboard under the stairs.
Back down under the under drawing in to a junction box, at this point it will change from 1.5mm T&E to the 1.5mm SWA. secured with the relevant cable clips/cleats.
Pass out through the house wall to the outside under the flagging in conduit before emerging at the garden wall.

Hello all,
Just after some guidance, i am a qualified Auto Electrician with a good number of years behind me. While confident in my own ability in domestic applications i am not fully aware of the Regs.

I am planning on installing 3 or 4 (mind not made up yet) brick lights in my garden wall parallel with my drive.

I intend on running 1.5mm SWA along the wall clipped with SWA cleats which will be circa 400mm above the level of the soil in the garden looping in and out of wiska Junction Boxes with the correct earthed glands etc.

The question is am i then OK to run flex (maybe pond flex) from the junction box through the wall to the back of the brick light. The wall is 2 bricks thick (double thickness) i will use the correct glad on the flex.
(The picture below shows the lay out if it uploads ok.) Credit Google image search

Thank you
James.
Brick Lights. SWA terminating. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

View attachment 47328
Your picture doesn't make it clear if the 'banjo' has been used in the SWA terminations. It will be needed in order to earth the armour.
Edit.. Actually your picture couldn't make it more clear that you have earthed them so please ignore the above!:oops:

Thank you for your advice,
Yes the lights will be on there own 6A RDC as i have a spare in the house Consumer Unit, so will utilise this for the proposed outside brick lights, I do have 3 outside wall lights (2 LED Floods on PIR and one Dawn till Dusk these or at least the wiring were already there when i moved in, these are on one of the existing 6A lighting rings.)

I am intending on using 1.5mm² 3 core SWA so will obviously use the earth core and earth the SWA armour through the banjo fittings, as shown in the image. Is soldering them acceptable as shown? i had the understanding that solder was not used on domestic / 240v applications.

As long as everyone agrees that i am ok to run the lamp feed from the wiska junction box to the light with pond flex or a simular cable, as it will only have a very small amount exposed between the junction box and were the flex disappears in to the wall then i am happy :)

Hi - You've done a nice job of soldering :) .
If I was doing this I'd lash out on a second nut on the inside so the banjo is locked between them. It turns out the plastic has been known to creep away over time and the pressure comes off the connection.

I would bury the cables and adaptable boxes in the ground and just run the flex up the wall.
Fill the adaptable boxes with a gel to prevent moisture ingress.
SWA glands should be the CW type.

The earthing nuts look like a good idea. And also act as a lock nut. I’d make a small earthing strap with a crimped ring connector to run from the banjo screw to the Earth terminal block, and attach the earth cable in the sea to the nut also with a crimped ring connector.I’m happy to solder as it’s something I’d done a lot of over the years,but would be more of a fiddle when working in the garden over soil.

With regards to burying the cable this would be a neater option. Am I ok with regards to the Regulations to then run the flex up out of the soil and in to the wall. I thought a 240v cable would have to be armoured if any of it was underground, I apologise if I seem like I’m doubting you as I’m really not. I just want to make sure it’s all safe and in accordance. :)

The earthing nuts look like a good idea. And also act as a lock nut. I’d make a small earthing strap with a crimped ring connector to run from the banjo screw to the Earth terminal block, and attach the earth cable in the sea to the nut also with a crimped ring connector.I’m happy to solder as it’s something I’d done a lot of over the years,but would be more of a fiddle when working in the garden over soil.

With regards to burying the cable this would be a neater option. Am I ok with regards to the Regulations to then run the flex up out of the soil and in to the wall. I thought a 240v cable would have to be armoured if any of it was underground, I apologise if I seem like I’m doubting you as I’m really not. I just want to make sure it’s all safe and in accordance. :)
Yes the flex should be in some flexible conduit, while it’s under the ground.

Just to pick up on one quick thing.... Is the circuit RCD protected? You mention its on its own 6A RCD but you probably mean MCB, just check if its an RCBO then all is well, or if its an MCB then its on a section of the board with an 30mA RCanin front of it

Sorry Yes you are correct its on it will be on its own 6A MCB not RCD i get confused between the two.
I will check tonight if its an RCBO type or if it has a 30mA RCA in front of it.
I might upload a picture for you kind people to help me.

@DefyG ,

Is this a genuine dumb or a slip of the finger/thumb whilst scrolling the page?

Brick Lights. SWA terminating. upload_2019-2-11_14-3-57 - EletriciansForums.net

I'm curious because if what I've suggested is a dumb idea I'd like to know why so I can adjust my thinking maybe :)

Reply to Brick Lights. SWA terminating. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back