Discuss Brown plugs on rewires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BrianDB9

A housing rewire specification says you have to use brown plugs and 5mm screws, would you comply ? would it make you think anything about the rest of the specification document ?

you have to follow the spec. daft or not. dunno what 5mm screws will do. seem a bit short to me. i use 1&1/2" 8's

inch & half 8's with a red plug in general. depends on the structure though - I've been working on a building that's over 300 years old and I've had to bring out the three inch 10's

inch & half 8's with a red plug in general. depends on the structure though - I've been working on a building that's over 300 years old and I've had to bring out the three inch 10's

what's up. run out of expanding foam?

If left to my own devices I would normally use 1.5"x8s and red plugs as standard, but if that's what they want that's what you should use.

a brown plug and size 10-14 screw that fits it will snap any pattrace you try to fix!!!

Looks like another spec writern by someone who's never done a days work

yep. snapped a few patresses even with 8's. must remember to turn the torque down on the impact driver.

Hello BrianDB9.

That spec. is utter rubbish - just ignore it and fix the hardware as appropriate to your skills and experience. The conditions of every fixing are different and cannot be set down in advance until the masonry has been chased out and the fixings drilled, accounting for concrete, brick, mortar, timber, final loading and any combination of these things. Return the spec. with your tender price on it and a note to this effect.

Regards,

Colin Jenkins.

red plugs, brown plugs, you young 'uns got it easy. we used to have to make the bloody plugs out of the tongues cut from the floorboards we pulled up, drill the holes in engineering brick using a rawltool and hammer, then taper the wood plugs with a rusty knife and hammer them in. happy days.

red plugs, brown plugs, you young 'uns got it easy. we used to have to make the bloody plugs out of the tongues cut from the floorboards we pulled up, drill the holes in engineering brick using a rawltool and hammer, then taper the wood plugs with a rusty knife and hammer them in. happy days.
Luxury, we had to plant t trees, grow em, bite through t trunks to fell them then the apprentice had to cut em up wi his hands. (no namby pamby axes or saws in them days)
Cart em to site on us backs then mek em into plugs. All on a 3 day rewire an all.
Kids these days!

I've even had to whittle dowels and knock them into the walls, between the stonework, just to have something to clip my cables to.

Luxury, we had to plant t trees, grow em, bite through t trunks to fell them then the apprentice had to cut em up wi his hands. (no namby pamby axes or saws in them days)
Cart em to site on us backs then mek em into plugs. All on a 3 day rewire an all.
Kids these days!

You were lucky-- we had no electricity...........

You were lucky.We had to bore holes using a woodpecker on a stick and never had a day off even when i had rickets...

Reply to Brown plugs on rewires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net