Discuss EICR Test Unsat-Thoughts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good day. First time poster.

We recently had an electrician perform the EICR, as this is a newly purchased property I thought'd I would have the circuits checked. Prior to this I inspected as much of the ciruits as possible and checked the sockets, lights for possible issues, it all looked fine with my limited knowledge, apart from the upstairs lighting with the old ALU wiring. We also have the documents from the previous oweners who had the kitchen, cooker and downstairs sockets/lights rewired during building works in 2014, so the 1950/1960s wires are no longer in those ciruits.

The only 1950's wiring is in the upstairs lighting ciruits, the sockets (upstairs) also appear to have been rewired (evident as there is twin and earth PVC).

I was surprised to find that the electrical inspectors only recomendation was a full house rewire based on not a C2 or C3 code for the upstairs lighting, but rather an F1? The only C2 were for No RCD and CU has an unused opening exceeding IPx4 etc. However, the the F1 states - " insulation resistance testing below required valve [for current editon]".

Now I know that the values are low and below the specification, but does this seriously require a full rewire? I can not believe there can not just be a rewire of the upstairs circuit?

To the best of my knowledge, we have items that could have affect the readings also- we have USB plug sockets and I am pretty sure he didn't disconnet all electrical items, I found he left my PC, laptop and other protected items plugged in during testing!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreaciated?
Jim

The reason for these "low" readings needs to be established.
Can we see the full report with personal details redacted.
Attached.

Best wishes

Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109-164819.png
    121 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240109-164830.png
    190 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20240109-164907.png
    322.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20240109-164928.png
    385.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20240109-164957.png
    276.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20240109-164941.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20240109-164842.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20240109-165446.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 35
It is a leap of faith to suggest it needs rewiring without knowing the cause of the readings. The readings are so low I am wondering whether the lighting circuits have interconnected neutrals and when testing they only disconnected the neutral for the circuit under test but that would need verifying.
They failed to identify the odd ring final continuity readings for circuit 2.

It is a leap of faith to suggest it needs rewiring without knowing the cause of the readings. The readings are so low I am wondering whether the lighting circuits have interconnected neutrals and when testing they only disconnected the neutral for the circuit under test but that would need verifying.
They failed to identify the odd ring final continuity readings for circuit 2.
Many thanks.

From you comment, I guess it's best to have it tested by a different engineer?

Reply to EICR Test Unsat-Thoughts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net