Discuss BS7671 524.1, C2 or C3 in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So every BS 7671 edition I have is only valid for designs after a set date, so you will need the installation certificate to get the design date and a van full of reference books to select the correct year. As when each current edition was current it refers you back to older editions when not a new installation, this was why I did not agree with removal of code 4

So every BS 7671 edition I have is only valid for designs after a set date, so you will need the installation certificate to get the design date and a van full of reference books to select the correct year. As when each current edition was current it refers you back to older editions when not a new installation, this was why I did not agree with removal of code 4
Why would I need this if I am conducting the inspection and test to the current edition of BS7671?-

"GN3 3.12 Periodic inspection of installations constructed to an earlier edition of BS7671 or the IEE Wiring Regulations
People often ask what standard should be applied when carrying out the periodic inspection of an installation constructed in accordance with an earlier edition of BS7671, or an even earlier edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations or to an unknown standard. Each edition of the Wiring Regulations has provided for an increase of safety to the users of the installations. Particular installation practices and methods that were compliant with earlier editions would be considered to be unacceptable now, such as the use of a public water pipe as a means of earthing, which would be considered as potentially dangerous now.

In all cases the inspection should be carried out against the current edition of BS7671. (italics mine)

It is likely that there will be items that do not comply with that edition but this does not necessarily mean that the installation is unsafe. If the inspector considers that an item, although not warranting Code C1, C2 requires improvement, it should be given Code C3 on the Electrical Installation Condition Report. If the item does not require improvement it does not need to be recorded as an observation."

As said your looking for degrading and danger, not compliance with any edition of BS 7671, in most cases it is the same, but to say anything passes or fails just because it complies or does not comply with BS 7671 is not enough.

The problem as I see it is other regulations and laws, BS 7671 is not law, but there are fire regulations which have caused changes in the BS 7671 which are law, if I make any reference to fire regulations I run the chance of getting it wrong, and I need to make it very clear I am only testing for electrical safety.

I had a home buyers report, which included reference to the electrical installation, where it referred to the condition of the electrics, it as a result is an electrical installation condition report, it reports on the electrical installation condition, but it is clearly not what we would call an EICR.

Reply to BS7671 524.1, C2 or C3 in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net